Just wondering, Free cancellation when booking a hotel thru say bookings.com/expedia.

Does that mean I get 100% money back? I thought I book something and if something cheaper and better comes up cancel the previous booking. 

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Just wondering, Free cancellation when booking a hotel thru say bookings.com/expedia.

depends on how the T&C are writen it may be free to actually cancel but there may also be non refundable portions of the booking as well
Photobucket
Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Re: Just wondering, Free cancellation when booking a hotel thru say bookings.com/expedia.

Freddie told me I should come over here and help. Not sure why as I have no idea about cancellations of bookings....weird........
Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Was it worded as 'free cancellation' (which sounds a bit weird) or no cancellation fees at all? (sometimes, for example, you can cancel up to x no of days before your arrival date, after that time frame you pay a cancellation fee)

bookingdotcom

FREE cancellation on most rooms!

Cancellation and prepayment policies vary according to apartment type

Read the fine print for the place you choose before you pay.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

I cancelled a booking in Thailand a week or so before I went. I made sure when I booked it that it could be cancelled, some offers cant be. They took my credit card details but wouldnt have processed the transaction until I arrived anyway. I made sure I took a screenshot of the page just in case they did charge me and I needed to prove a chargeback.

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

You generally get a voucher from the website, and you pay the amount on the voucher at the hotel/condo/apt. when you check in.

It really is a fine print deal, bob.  If I have to cancel a hotel reservation, I call the place directly. Most hotels have a 24 hour (in advance) cancellation policy. 

If I have to change my flight, I call expedia. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
no siggy
Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Pay with a credit card & You can always do a charge back. They'll reimburse you immediately. The other way they hold your money for 30 days.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

womblewa
Community Member

Cant talk about other booking sites, but we have found Expedia to be excellent.  At one stage last year we cancelled a hotel in Bangkok due to a sudden escalation in violence - when I made the booking it clearly said 'no cancellations permitted' or words to that effect.  I decided to have a go at Expedia anyway, and they did get us a partial refund; pretty darned good when I expected nothing.  Travel insurance will not help with political situations nor ash cloud cancellations etc...

On Boxing Day last year I made a booking and paid in full through an Expedia flight and hotel bundle (good value) for 10 days at a hotel in Karon Phuket at Easter (Karon Sea Sands, who we have used many times previously).  When we got there the hotel had lost our booking and were unable to give us the room we wanted (pool access from the balcony).  The hotel had 0% interest in any refund or compensation.   We paid up and went and stayed at another hotel (Marina) and I addressed the issue with Expedia on our return via email.  Absolutely top notch quick response and follow up. 

Result - full refund.

A very pleasant surprise in a world where generally no one gives a toss and you just do your money. 

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply