Knitting Question

I'm not much of a knitter but occasionally get the bug and so started on a cute cardi at the start of winter.

The pattern said to use some el-cheap fluffy acrylic that didn't have a ply but I bought some decent 8ply Cleckheaton wool. Both 50g. I did a 10 x 10 tension patch and it was good. If anything my tension square was a little larger which was good as I wanted the cardi looser.

The pattern said to use 5 balls of wool which I thought was strange and would not be enough. So I bought 8 instead thinking just-in-case (plus I coud always make a matching beanie if there were left overs.)

I have knitted the back, 1 front and about half of another front but only have half a ball left. Still have sleeves and edges to go!

When I took it back to the shop to say there must be a misprint in the booklet and the cardi is going to use at least another 6 balls the woman pointed out that the tension squares are useless and that I should be reading how many metres each ball of wool has. Sure enough, my cleckheaton has 32m and the el-cheapo has 94m per ball.

I never realised that I should check the lineal metre on a ball of wool (didn't even realise they listed it) but what I don't understand is why my tension square was spot on.

Can someone explain to me how I ran out of wool if the tension squares were correct? I just don't get the maths.

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Knitting Question

My guess is that the yarn is weighed in its unknitted state which is why they suggest the knitted tension squares..but they are only a guide anyway.

I would think that you will need approx 3 times the amount of Cleckheaton to make up for the difference between the 32 and the 94 lineal metres...and thats not even considering the difference between the ply of the 2 yarns..or the elasticity of the acylic vs the wool.

PS The cleckheaton is a great yarn- and will be really toasty to wear..lucky you!

Ive never understood knitters who go to the trouble and time to handcraft but choose cheap acrylic yarn..(unless they are allergic..)I know wool is expensive, but I would just save up for it. 

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

Checking your tension only relates to the garment size when finished - not to the amount of wool required.  That would depend on the ply and size of the ball.

photo 214a93fa3a9e326200857a2dbc30e730_zps379416e4.jpg
Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

Were you able to get more/enough yarn from the same dye lot? If not I may have a suggestion for you. 

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Did you use your chosen pattern for your tension square?.............pattern always uses more wool.

I bet it will look great when it is finished...........I love hand knitted cardigans for babies.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

@lurker172602 wrote:

Were you able to get more/enough yarn from the same dye lot? If not I may have a suggestion for you. 

Sadly no.

I have found 4 balls of another dyelot and 3 balls of a different one again.

So I thought I would knit the rib on the sleeves using the 3 balls and then continue the rest of the arms in the 4 others. If it isn't enough I can just do 3/4 sleeves.

My biggest problem is that I am going to run out of same dyelot on one side of the front. Any suggestions for that?

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

@flashie* wrote:

Did you use your chosen pattern for your tension square?.............pattern always uses more wool.

I bet it will look great when it is finished...........I love hand knitted cardigans for babies.

Yes flashie I did - the tension is same on pattern as it is on suggeted tension on wool label.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

You could phone Cleckheaton direct and see if they can help you sourcing a stockist with the same dyelot...they are in Melbourne

(auspinners) 

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

@sandypas wrote:

Checking your tension only relates to the garment size when finished - not to the amount of wool required.  That would depend on the ply and size of the ball.

The 'ply' size is equivelent (going by my tension square test). The Cleckheaton is tightly woven and the el-cheapo is thinner strand but very fluffy.

The weight of the ball is the same (50g) although the el cheapo fluffy stuff looks a larger ball. 

The difference is in the lineal metreage of the ball.

Interestingly I have had a couple of chats to 'real' knitters and none of them had ever heard of wool by the lineal metre. Obviously not something you used to have to worry about in the old days when patterns could be interchanged with any decent Cleckeaton/Paton ball.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

You can knit more tension squares with 94m of acrylic than 32m of wool.

The acrylic is lighter than wool;  Bit like 50g feathers is bulkier than 50g lead

Similarities to your predicament were evident with mohair/Totem in the old days.

A pity the salesperson who sold the pattern and yarn didn't advise the difference at the time of original purchase.

DEB

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply