LNP's Steve Dickson Defects To One Nation

LNP MP Steve Dickson has defected to Pauline Hanson's One Nation, with the move giving the party a seat in Queensland's hung parliament.

The Queensland Opposition MP and former Newman government minister quit the LNP this morning and had also removed references to the LNP from his website.

Mr Dickson, the Member for Buderim, said he believed the major political parties needed to "grow a backbone".

"I've had a choice to make — I'm putting my career on the line today," Mr Dickson said.

"I believe we have to put people before politics.

Entire Article Here

"I believe we have to put people before politics."

Cop that, Mal and Bill!

Message 1 of 35
Latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I wonder how his constituents will feel about their elected member defecting.

He should be made to resign from Parliament altogether and then run in the by-election as a One Nation candidate.

Maybe he is afraid he will be out on his ear.

Message 2 of 35
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

"I wonder how his constituents will feel about their elected member defecting."

He should be made to resign from Parliament altogether and then run in the by-election as a One Nation candidate.

Maybe he is afraid he will be out on his ear

Pretty much as how Tony Abbotts constituents felt about electing him but ending up with Mal Turncoatbull, I imagine.

Message 3 of 35
Latest reply

But Tony Abbott is still their elected representative in the same political party as when he ran for office.

The constituents do not elect the Prime Minister....the party elects their leader who becomes the Prime Minister.

Message 4 of 35
Latest reply

I was referring to how it feels, Lyndal. The feeling of betrayal.

Message 5 of 35
Latest reply

But Tony Abbotts constituents were not betrayed....they have the member they voted for who still represents the party the party they voted for.   Nobody was betrayed in that case.

Message 6 of 35
Latest reply

Do you think those same constituents could have voted him into the PM'ship as well?

Message 7 of 35
Latest reply

How? We don't have Prime Ministerial elections here.

Message 8 of 35
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

I wonder how his constituents will feel about their elected member defecting.

Maybe he is afraid he will be out on his ear.

I agree LyndaI, I  think it's a pretty low thing to do to the constituents who put him there in the first place, as a represntative of the LNP. 

Message 9 of 35
Latest reply

@icyfroth wrote:

Do you think those same constituents could have voted him into the PM'ship as well?

No they could not have voted him into the Prime Ministership.....unless they were all sitting members of Parliament and members of the LNP who were entitled to vote for the Prime Minister.

Message 10 of 35
Latest reply