Labor’s NBN ‘rushed, chaotic’, says audit

nero_bolt
Community Member

Shame on Labor for this $43 billion shambles

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/in-depth/labors-nbn-rushed-chaotic-says-audit/story-e6frgai...

It is a disgrace - a complete scandal - that the former Labor Government spent so many billions so lightly on such a dud scheme with such little thought:

[A] landmark audit has found the policy process for developing Labor’s National Broadband Network was “rushed, chaotic and inadequate”.

... former Productivity Commission head Bill Scales has found the NBN Co set up to develop the high-speed internet network was given a job that only a “well-functioning, large and established” telecommunications company could do under the tight time­tables for the rollout…

Mr Scales said he was told that some of those involved in the first 12 months of the NBN Co were “making it up as they went”, while others related a “salutary anecdote” that, in the early days of NBN Co, ‘‘all we had (to guide us) was the press release and a bunch of business cards"…

The audit examined the original “Mark I” NBN policy — based on 2007 election promises by then opposition leader Kevin Rudd of $4.7bn public funding towards building a fibre-to-the-node network — and the vastly more ambitious $43bn Mark II policy that replaced it....

The [NBN Mark II ] plan got just 11 weeks’ consideration and “there is no evidence that a full range of options was seriously considered”.

“There was no business case or any cost-benefit analysis, or independent studies of the policy undertaken, with no clear operating instructions provided to this completely new government business enterprise, within a legislative and regulatory framework still undefined, and without any consultation with the wider community,” the report says.

In other findings, the audit says full cabinet did not consider the policy until very early on the April 2009 morning it was announced, and its role was to “rubber-stamp” a decision by the strategic priorities and budget committee of ­cabinet.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/in-depth/labors-nbn-rushed-chaotic-says-audit/story-e6frgai...

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: Labor’s NBN ‘rushed, chaotic’, says audit

Before first NBN connection we paid $50 per month for ADSL (not 2) for about 7GB per month. ADSL2 was available from Telstra only and the cost per month was much higher than that for about the same amount of GB. Only Telstra were taking new customers in the area. Other ISPs didn't want Telstra resale customers. No choice for ISPS.. 15 mins from a city and 40 mins from a major city.

Before current connection using mobile broadband $40p.m 12GB. Congestion drop out problems.

Now pay $40 p.m. for $20GB any time and $20GB midnight to 7am) Total 40GB. 

Message 11 of 23
Latest reply

@monman12 wrote:

I bought a lot of Telstra's shares. (the share price has nearly doubled and  they are returning 14% FF, on the purchase price).

Myopic Tongues2 Small.jpg

So did I and what an excellent return I are getting as well MM12 

Message 12 of 23
Latest reply

There was a choice of around 46 RSPs for my NBN service. Compare that to one choice for ADSL2  (telstra and their exorobtant plan prices when they have no competition in the area) in my area.

Message 13 of 23
Latest reply

It's bound to be obsolete by the time it gets here, in some parts of metro Adelaide.

nbn.jpg

Yes, I have an opinion. No you don't have to agree with it. Yes I do have a right to it.
Message 14 of 23
Latest reply

@carls*world wrote:

It's bound to be obsolete by the time it gets here, in some parts of metro Adelaide.

nbn.jpg

Don't worry too much. Most of the so called new improved version will be obsolete. Most of it is just fancied up ADSL.

Message 15 of 23
Latest reply

Tony Abbott's NBN - Mad as Hell Smiley LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-6E5yX1E0U

Message 16 of 23
Latest reply

LNP NBN FTTN Woman Frustrated Took them long enough to roll out new plan  

NBN Co rolls out new national construction plan

Construction to begin for 1.9 million homes and businesses by June 2016

NBN Co today announced a new national rollout plan revealing the next 1.9 million homes and businesses across more than 400 cities, suburbs and towns set to receive the National Broadband Network (NBN).

The expansion of the rollout across every state and territory is the first to reflect the company's new, flexible multi-technology approach and is an important step toward reaching its goal of 8 million connections to the NBN by 2020.

The plan provides an indicative view of scheduled construction work up to June 2016. It will be updated each successive quarter with further detail to reflect ongoing variations brought about by process and technology improvements.

This greater transparency will give individuals, communities and the telecommunications industry the most accurate short-term view of construction progress while at the same time acknowledging the flexible nature of the rollout.

NBN Co’s CEO Bill Morrow said:

“We’re committed to bringing fast broadband to all Australians as quickly as possible. The new multi-technology approach enables us to do just that.

“Over the past year, we have carried out successful trials of a range of new technologies, revised our build processes and are renegotiating our partner agreements. As a result of this work, we are able to provide forecasts that reflect the next phase of our network build. 

“It is these forecasts that will enable our customers, the telephone and internet service providers, to be able to start planning the delivery of services over the NBN to these communities.

“Of course, the longer the forecast, the greater the likelihood that changes will occur. That’s only to be expected in a project of this magnitude.

Naturally some people will be disappointed that they are not included in today’s schedule but ultimately no-one misses out as the NBN will be made available to every Australian family and business by 2020.”  Chortle

The rollout of the NBN continues to grow momentum with more than 300,000 Australian homes and businesses across Australia already connected and enjoying the benefits of fast broadband.

More information on the new construction schedule is available atnbnco.com.au/rolloutplan

Message 17 of 23
Latest reply

eh?

........................2020 ?

who's brilliant brainwave schedule is this ?

oooooh! let. me. guess.

grasping at straws photo: Grasping at Straws graspingatstraws.jpg

Message 18 of 23
Latest reply

I pay $135 a month for my ADSL2 broadband and phone. Telstra have omitted their promise that used to be on the bottom of their accounts that used to guarantee 20megabits of speed (think thats the meas unit apols if not)

We are lucky if we get 2 units of speed. I am in Bunbury WA.

South Bunbury near the ocean gets 500 less than 1 unit of whatevers for speed....i know this because the manager of comptr service agent that i go to lives there in sth bunbury and told me last week.

My sis-in-law just built a new house in Glen Iris and waited 7 weeks b4 telstra said.....and then other providers confirmed (becos of telstra) that she could not have ADSL1 or 2. She pays $35 a month for 10 giga whatevers of whatever on a 'dongle' that she has to plug into her lap top. The speed is shocking and she and I both get severe lagging.

Often we experience complete drop outs from the i/net.

My sis-in-laws parents are Chinese. They live on an orchard in a central province. They have dirt floors etc but they get internet speed 20x faster than we do from their mobile phone and they pay far far less than us.

If you are lucky enough to get put to Telstra in Philippines, when you have probs with your i/net just ask the operators themselves what their personal home acct speeds and acct costs are....LOL They pay 20% of what we pay and have more than 2x our i/net speed.

Message 19 of 23
Latest reply

@carls*world wrote:

nbn.jpg

Carl you could have this now as its available in your area, no line rental 

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3951257920

cheapest plan 10GB for $30 next is $40 for 20GB

Message 20 of 23
Latest reply