Legalize Marijuana Yes or No?

This is an issue that I have mixed thoughts on. At the moment there's a huge problem with Ice and it seems it will never go away. The fact that it's rife in some country towns is a very scary thing. Should we just  say To heck with it, let people puff away till their heart's content" and thus give police more time and resources to go after the pushers of the heavier stuff?

I don't smoke. I tried it in the past a few times years ago and not that impressed.  I think that it does ruin the motivation of some young people and they'll never reach their potential. Then again booze does the same thing as well.

With all that's going on in the world, is it time to have a look at this?

What are your thoughts?

Message 1 of 37
Latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re: Legalize Marijuana Yes or No?

@myoclon1cjerk wrote:
Well you won't have to worry about it in your lifetimes. It won't happen in Australia too soon. The most conservative nation in the Western world. I'm surprised mixed marriages are allowed here.

Maybe not legalised but certainly decriminalised

Q. Is cannabis legal in the ACT?

Cannabis is not legal in the ACT, it has been decriminalised. The ACT has removed penalties for adults who possess or use small amounts of cannabis so they can get support without fear of being put through the justice system.

New rules around personal use of cannabis came into effect on 31 January 2020.

https://www.act.gov.au/cannabis/home

Message 11 of 37
Latest reply

It should be legalised for medical purposes and dispensed through a pharmacy like any other drug. The difference it can make to someone on chemo is huge. Same with uncontrolled pain and end stage cancer. Kids that have uncontrolled seizures can really benefit, as can kids with cerebral palsy. For some with severe medical conditions, it can mean the difference between being locked in their house, or being able to lead some kind of normal life, including having a job.

Most only need the CBD variety that doesn't have the THC, but for some, the THC component is what helps with their condition.

I don't agree with legalising it for recreational use. I would agree to decriminalise it, like ACT and SA for users (not dealers). That said, people will smoke it regardless. 

I have seen first hand the difference it has made to some people with long term medical issues. Sad reality for them is, they have to be basically criminals to get the relief they need for their condition, that conventional medicines can't help with.

Message 12 of 37
Latest reply

@joz*garage wrote:

@not_for_sale2024 wrote:

I disagree, Cannabis is not only consumed by smoking it.

& In comparison.. for example, the harm caused by legal alcohol outweighs the harm caused by marijuana. (to the individual & society)

The advantages of alcohol is very little, when they say controlled drinking "may" reduce heart disease.

The medical benefts of Cannabis is well documented.

I'm unsure what your point is! There is a huge difference between medicinal cannabis and smoking marijuana. Medicinal cannabis is legal in Australia and can be prescribed by a doctor for specific medical conditions. Clearly the OP was referring to the smoking of marijuana. While legal alcohol is dangerous in so many ways, smoking marijuana is dangerous too. So we should legalise marijuana because it is thought to be less dangerous than alcohol? Is that it?

Hey, when I was younger I used to chant 'make love not war' too, with an enlightened head. But the world is very different now and I worry about the stresses young people are trying to deal with. They need support to manage their lives, not escape it. The legalisation of marijuana would lead to an increase in usage, and while some people might see that as a good thing, I do not. If I could trade the violent drunks for stoned dopers I probably would. But I would continue to worry about the kids today and how our experiences could help them work through their futures, which look pretty grim.

Message 13 of 37
Latest reply

@not_for_sale2024 wrote:

@joz*garage wrote:

@not_for_sale2024 wrote:

I disagree, Cannabis is not only consumed by smoking it.

& In comparison.. for example, the harm caused by legal alcohol outweighs the harm caused by marijuana. (to the individual & society)

The advantages of alcohol is very little, when they say controlled drinking "may" reduce heart disease.

The medical benefts of Cannabis is well documented.

I'm unsure what your point is! There is a huge difference between medicinal cannabis and smoking marijuana. Medicinal cannabis is legal in Australia and can be prescribed by a doctor for specific medical conditions. Clearly the OP was referring to the smoking of marijuana. While legal alcohol is dangerous in so many ways, smoking marijuana is dangerous too. So we should legalise marijuana because it is thought to be less dangerous than alcohol? Is that it?

Hey, when I was younger I used to chant 'make love not war' too, with an enlightened head. But the world is very different now and I worry about the stresses young people are trying to deal with. They need support to manage their lives, not escape it. The legalisation of marijuana would lead to an increase in usage, and while some people might see that as a good thing, I do not. If I could trade the violent drunks for stoned dopers I probably would. But I would continue to worry about the kids today and how our experiences could help them work through their futures, which look pretty grim.

Point being; cannabis isn't just taken by smoking it, it can be an incredient for cakes cookies etc.

I knew lots of folks who were non drinkers or tabacco smokers. & prefered cannabis consumed that way.

Maybe I should've address to OP direct.

I do believe the legalization for recreational use the community would be better off. Because, It's believed it leads to harder drugs, it's mainly because (for some users) only if they can't get cannabis - a dry spell, and their risk of getting addicted to harder drugs are greater.

The legalization would make it freely available to them.

On the other hand, yeah, there should be more education so people can cope with the real world, better parenting too, so folks don't latch onto self medicating (choose your poison) to try and cope with it.

But, I still believe in freedom of choice. Alcohol for example has some positives, for folks who enjoy a quailty wine with a meal, and the use of it in cooking.

Cannabis too has it postives; users certainly aren't as angry compared to drinkers. 

Signatures suck.
Message 14 of 37
Latest reply

daltvila_420
Community Member

Message 15 of 37
Latest reply

Dalt, Say hi to my loved ones over there for us. Looks like 8 ball roust up the old boy and finally did the deed.

Public viewing is now impossible. I sensed it coming LOL

Signatures suck.
Message 16 of 37
Latest reply

How does one decontaminate a rental house after a m.j.  tribe have moved on ? 

I imagine major outgassing issues for some time from mj smog absorbing carpets , curtains, walls etc

Message 17 of 37
Latest reply

Probably the same method used to rid ciggie smoke stains.

Signatures suck.
Message 18 of 37
Latest reply

@joz*garage wrote:

Probably the same method used to rid ciggie smoke stains.

Just a matter of being aware i suppose - i just mentioned as  a possible issue that needs evaluating while considered the question of  legalising

Message 19 of 37
Latest reply

@joz*garage wrote:

Point being; cannabis isn't just taken by smoking it, it can be an incredient for cakes cookies etc.

I knew lots of folks who were non drinkers or tabacco smokers. & prefered cannabis consumed that way.

Maybe I should've address to OP direct.

I do believe the legalization for recreational use the community would be better off. Because, It's believed it leads to harder drugs, it's mainly because (for some users) only if they can't get cannabis - a dry spell, and their risk of getting addicted to harder drugs are greater.

The legalization would make it freely available to them.

On the other hand, yeah, there should be more education so people can cope with the real world, better parenting too, so folks don't latch onto self medicating (choose your poison) to try and cope with it.

But, I still believe in freedom of choice. Alcohol for example has some positives, for folks who enjoy a quailty wine with a meal, and the use of it in cooking.

Cannabis too has it postives; users certainly aren't as angry compared to drinkers. 

Oddly, I would have agreed with every word you wrote when I was young. But life experiences and fatherhood have changed my mind. Freedom of choice is a nice liberty. But I wonder if the victims of domestic violence at the hands of violent drunks would agree! I am sure all drugs users or drinkers could point out some positives. But responsible legislation must be based on the advantages and disadvantages to society. Personally, I don't think this would be a good time to legalise the use of an unpredictable mind and mood altering drug. But hey, if they had done so in the 60's then all of this would be irrelevant.

Message 20 of 37
Latest reply