Liberals - This is a bit low

imastawka
Honored Contributor

The poster, written in Mandarin, states the "correct" way to vote is to put the Liberal Party first.

Labor has accused the Liberal Party of deliberately using the official colours of the Australian Electoral Commission to mislead Chinese-speaking voters in a marginal seat, despite the AEC stating the posters are within the laws.

The posters, which were written in Mandarin and have appeared at booths in the Melbourne seat of Chisholm, state the "correct" way to vote is to preference the Liberal candidate first.

A photo taken by Victorian Trades Hall secretary Luke Hilakari showed a poster printed in the purple and white colours of the AEC tied to a fence next to an official AEC voting banner.

The text of the poster appears to be written in the style of an official instruction to voters:

"Correct way to vote.

"On the green voting card, put preference 1 next to the Liberal Party. The other boxes can be numbered from smallest to highest."

Australian Labor Party state secretary Kosmos Samaras has confirmed to the ABC that the party lodged a formal complaint with the AEC.

AEC state manager Steve Kennedy has told the ABC that the commission has considered the complaint and found the posters did not breach election laws.

"Whilst the AEC would prefer that parties or lobby groups don't use the colour purple, the AEC doesn't own the colour purple and there is nothing restricting the use of this," he said.

The Liberal Party has declined to comment.

Both the major parties are running female Chinese-Australian candidates in the seat of Chisholm after it was vacated by Liberal-turned-independent Julia Banks.

Roughly 20 per cent of the population in the electorate, in Melbourne's eastern suburbs, are of Chinese ancestry.

The battle for the seat is likely to come down to the Liberal Party's Gladys Liu and Labor's Jennifer Yang.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/federal-election-2019-labor-accuses-liberals-of-creating-mi...

I'm not a political animal, but even I can see this is woefully wrong.

How does this not breach election laws?

Message 1 of 59
Latest reply
58 REPLIES 58

martinw-48
Community Member
I was thinking the same thing but to be honest there have been a lot of low acts from all sides this election
Message 2 of 59
Latest reply

It's either a breach or something has been lost in translation
Message 3 of 59
Latest reply

very deceptive.

Libs might say that Labor are only complaining because they didn’t think of doing that.

They must have known that the translation of the text would be made early . . . . as 20% of that electorate are Chinese-Australians and BOTH Lib and Labor candidates are Chinese-Australians.

Message 4 of 59
Latest reply

of course as it doesnt say it was produced and displayed by the liberal party nothing can be done, unless someone admits to doing it.

but someone knows who printed it out there dont they?

not something you print on a home printer.

Message 5 of 59
Latest reply

I thought all election material had to be ‘authorised’ and have the name of who authorised the material printed on it.

My mandarin is a bit rusty, so I don’t know if the sign carries an authorisation!

Message 6 of 59
Latest reply

https://www.aec.gov.au/About_AEC/Publications/backgrounders/polling-places-offences.htm

Misleading or deceptive publications s. 329

1. A person must not print, publish or distribute, or cause, permit or authorize to be printed any matter or thing during an election period that is likely to mislead or deceive an elector in relation to the casting of a vote in an election under the Act. The scope of what amounts to "publish" includes not just the print media, but also by radio, television, internet or telephone.
  2. If a person is found guilty of this offence, a court may impose a penalty not exceeding 10 penalty units or a period of imprisonment not exceeding six months, or both. A body corporate found guilty of this offence may be subject to a penalty not exceeding 50 penalty units.
Message 7 of 59
Latest reply

And what is it with voting - using a pencil on a string. lol

All legal documents require - ink.

Message 8 of 59
Latest reply

I guess this may end up in the Court of Disputed Returns if the Libs win the seat.

Either way, the electoral laws need tightening.

Message 9 of 59
Latest reply

martinw-48
Community Member
How many pens would they have to buy then.
People would steal them.
I worked for the Westpac bank and nothing stops people stealing pens.
Even a metal chain screwed into the wood didn't stop them
Message 10 of 59
Latest reply