London Bridge incident 'here we go again'

71 REPLIES 71

We've been lucky here that nothing major has happened, but our luck won't hold out forever.

Quite honestly, I don't think our forces will be able to deal with anything that does happen.

I was reading that in the Lindt cafe incident, police sharpshooters had opportunities to shoot the terrorist but held off as they were not sure if they had permission to do so.

Special squads need to have very specific permission. And it is probably time for the public to be told too-pull a gun on the police or start attacking the public in what looks like a terror attack and all bets are off, you can be shot dead.

But that won't happen here or not till we've had a lot of terror attacks.

Message 2 of 72
Latest reply

i dont know about anyone else but if i was in a situation like the lyndt cafe i would want the snipers to be able to take out anyone they have in their sights they believe is a suspect in the event.

no need for permission, they should be trained to kill on sight. the example of the lyndt seige is perfect. there was little doubt they had monis in their sights. being trained experts they should know about shooting through glass, i would imagine maybe even 2 shots fired close together, one breaks the glass whilst the other kills the target.

cant be much worse than waiting for the crazy person to start killing victims....in my view.

Message 3 of 72
Latest reply

In the case of the Lindt cafe there was a lot more to take into consideration than just having the target in their sights.

The building was a former bank building and initially there was confusion as to whether the glass in the window of the cafe was bullet-proof glass.

If it had been it could have been a disaster if the snipers had fired....it could have been immediate death for the hostages if Monis had retaliated and carried out his threats.  If he did have a bomb it could well have meant the deaths of a lot more people than just the hostages.

Life is not always as black and white as you see it.

Message 4 of 72
Latest reply

I completely agree, david.

I think the problem was the sharpshooters did not know if they had permission. They could have done it but they were awaiting orders.

That's a problem from the top leadership. We don't want cowboys who shoot willy nilly but at the same time, special squads who go into a siege situation should be given orders to take out the terrorist/terrorists if possible. They need to know they have permission to do so.

Message 5 of 72
Latest reply

Lyndal I also agree life isn't black & white. But apparently the inquest is showing there were a couple of times when they could have taken out Monis.  But they didn't go ahead as they didn't know if they had permission.

They would have known exactly about the glass etc after the first few hours.

Message 6 of 72
Latest reply

I agree that permission or lack of it was an issue as time went on, but initially everything stalled until the authorities could confirm if the windows were bulletproof glass.

Message 7 of 72
Latest reply

We can only hope (& pray), that authorities have learnt from the inquest into the Lindt Cafe disaster and implement changes immediately, so other innocent lives may be saved in the future and the two lives lost may not have been totally in vein as they bring about  positive change.

And as for the current situation, words fail me, it is so distressing I can't find appropriate words.  It has reached a point it has almost become part of our daily lives to hear of such atrocities, a sad way of life

Animated crying emoticon.gif  Bouquet of flowers 4.jpg

Message 8 of 72
Latest reply

@mbselections00 wrote:

We can only hope (& pray), that authorities have learnt from the inquest into the Lindt Cafe disaster and implement changes immediately, so other innocent lives may be saved in the future and the two lives lost may not have been totally in vein as they bring about  positive change.

And as for the current situation, words fail me, it is so distressing I can't find appropriate words.  It has reached a point it has almost become part of our daily lives to hear of such atrocities, a sad way of life

Animated crying emoticon.gif  Bouquet of flowers 4.jpg

i fear that our experts behind closed doors are saying "only 2 dead, we'll call that a great outcome"

Message 9 of 72
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

In the case of the Lindt cafe there was a lot more to take into consideration than just having the target in their sights.

The building was a former bank building and initially there was confusion as to whether the glass in the window of the cafe was bullet-proof glass.

Probably not bullet proof but hardened plate glass, enough to deflect the trajectory of any bullets.

@david4430 wrote:

"i would imagine maybe even 2 shots fired close together, one breaks the glass whilst the other kills the target."

more than likely would have only shattered or fractured the glass, flying glass debris could still deflect the bullets in any direction, includung at the hostages, not a time to expect a Hollywood outcome

Message 10 of 72
Latest reply