Look at this.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/…/Is-cure-Alzheimer-s-sight-Unpr…   

Could this be the end of Alzheimer's? Revolutionary drug 'may stop the disease from ever developing'

• Aducanumab is designed to target the underlying damage to the brain
  • Works by targeting the hallmark tangle of proteins in Alzheimer's patients 
  • Study showed those who took drug had reduced build up after a year 
  • Experts hailed the findings as 'game-changing' and 'unprecedented

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3767488/Is-cure-Alzheimer-s-sight-Unprecedented-trial-sees...

Tommy Loves Everyone... Im a 75 year old nutcase..
Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Look at this.

esayaf
Community Member
Except it has some pretty nasty side effects
Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

I would rather have side effects then Alzheimer's, it was on the news in NZ, hope they hurry up and get it sorted and on the market

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

@esayaf wrote:

Every drug has side effects to some degree - even Paracetamol. I have just flushed some Codeine Phosphate (Painkillers) down the pan that was prescribed by a Doctor, because I couldn't cope with the dizzy and sickness feelings experienced. Nowhere in the list of side effects was this mentioned, so you can't even rely on those for guidance.

Champix - the tablets to stop you smoking - can cause horrific nightmares, plus bring on suicidal tendencies !

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

esayaf
Community Member
I had to have surgery in 2013 because I'm allergic to aspirin and my doctor forced me to take it even though I told her I was experiencing bad side effects.
I know full well the side effects of medications. I'm a diabetic and have bad side effects from most diabetes medication.
That's why I mentioned the side effects
Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

Yes esayaf, I can sympathise. Also I think that the more pills you pop - at the behest of your Doc - the more chances you have of experiencing adverse effects. I'm sure some medication fights against the other.

Doctors here seem to simply want you out of their surgery as quick as possible, so they write out a prescription for pills without considereng whether or not they are for the good of the patient.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

@electric*mayhem*band wrote:

@esayaf wrote:

Champix - the tablets to stop you smoking - can cause horrific nightmares, plus bring on suicidal tendencies !

You need to tweak it to prevent those. Instead of taking one in the morning and one at night like they tell you to do, you take one in the morning and the other no later than 3pm. I never had another stupid dream after doing that. They also don't tell you that you need to take them with food. Taking them on an empty stomach causes all the stomach irritation and suicidal tendencies (although those tendencies are only in a small percentage of the people who use them. You also get suicidal tendencies when you start on anti depressants).

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Many thanks for that TT. I have a mate who is very reluctant to start on the course, due to reading the list of horrors. He got the Champix from his Doc, but when he read the enclosed leaflet, decided not to go ahead. Didn't bin them though, and still has them. I'll tell him what you said as this information wasn't relayed to him by the Doc, or the nurse in charge at the hospital pharmacy. First port of call for the tabs here is your Doc, he then refers you to the hospital. They then contact the Doctor, who in turn sends out the go ahead (and prescription) to the hospital pharmacy, to issue them.

All a bit of a faff, but that's the way they do it here.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

Sorry TT, forgot to ask, and was timed out to edit. Most importantly, did they work for you ?

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Yes, they did, but it took me 2 goes. Hence why I learned to tweak it second time around. It was trial and error. It was my tweaking that fixed the issue for me. The big issue that I had was setting the quit date. That did my head in big time. The day arrived and I was a basket case. In hindsight I was suffering from what I coined as last smoke syndrome. Therefore, the date came and went.

They say to quit between week 2 and 3. By week 5 I was still smoking, even though the tablets had well and truly kicked in and I was getting nothing from the smokes. I had cut down a fair bit, unintentionally. One night just after dinner I dozed off in front of the TV. Normally I'd have got up and gone out for a smoke, but instead, I went to bed without. I told myself if I really wanted one, I'd get back up and have one. I fell asleep. I didn't have any when I got up the next morning.

Doing it that way, I didn't have the last smoke issue, I had one and then didn't have any more. By that stage it was a real effort to have one. It was getting to the point where I couldn't physically pick one up. It was purely the habit at work.

The first 2 weeks I used to change my habits a bit, so I could try and avoid the triggers after I'd stopped. Instead of having one straight after dinner, I'd do the dishes then have one. If someone rang up, I'd normally light up, I didn't have any while talking. If I had a cuppa, I'd wait until I finished, instead of having one with. It did make it that bit easier afterwards because I wasn't looking for them with the usual triggers.

I don't drink, but drinking is the one area that people find it the hardest. Surprisingly, after I'd stopped, I had no desire to have one when others were smoking around me. It was only well after I'd finished the course of tablets that I started thinking how nice it would be to have one when others were having one.

The one big thing I did learn. Despite what people say, quitting is the easy part.......staying off them is the hard part. I think why it appeals to so many people is, you don't get the urge to eat all the time like you do if you go cold turkey.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply