Million dollar reward for murder of Karmein Chan

must admit I was surprised reading the newspapers over the last week that the reward for this murder was only 100k.  Then today it was announced that they will offer a million dollars for the information leading to the arrest.  It's amazing that a case like this remains unsolved, espcially if it was by who the police dubbed Mr Cruel.    Number 1 suspect still living in Melbourne, former university lecturer, served 10 years in jail back in the seventies for home invasion assaults.  I hope someone out there has that bit of information that solves these crimes.  Those poor children and families what they would have gone through at the time.

Do people seriously think that the reward will make someone come forward?  Surely if you had an inkling of who this was you would have passed that information on?  Even anonymously?

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Not necessarily.

A million dollars could be a big incentive for someone to come forward that hadn't before.

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

Number 1 suspect still living in Melbourne, former university lecturer, served 10 years in jail back in the seventies for home invasion assaults.

They don't know the identity of Mr Cruel so something is not right in this info ?

image host
Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

They don't know who Mr Cruel is, and if they have suspects, they're not saying.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-13/karmein-chan-murder-1m-reward-offered/7321604

Number 1 suspect still living in Melbourne, former university lecturer, served 10 years in jail back in the seventies for home invasion assaults.  

????   Where did this come from?

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

Big article in the herald sun on the weekend, if you google it you will find it.  They have released info not previoiusly released and given the paper the names of the 7 suspects with the number 1 suspect interviewed.  Obviously no names but a lot of info there.  very intersting read.

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

They don't know who Mr Cruel is, and if they have suspects, they're not saying.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-13/karmein-chan-murder-1m-reward-offered/7321604

????   Where did this come from?

imastawka, this was all in the Herald Sun on Saturday.  You shouldn't have any trouble finding it on the net.

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

They don't know the identity of Mr Cruel so something is not right in this info ?

they have their main suspects and have for some time.  However they obviously cannot pin it on the person they believe it may be.  It was interesting tonight on the news the assistant commissioner was giving a desciption and it was very similar to the main suspect. "highly intelligent etc".    

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

yes, it was much bigger than what is on here, probably a 6 page spread and it went into great detail.  The FBI were involved and came up with who was the number 1 suspect.  Which was the lecturer, they listed his previous crimes where he lived etc.  It also listed info about the other suspects, one had moved overseas, one they could not locate.    I hope this can be solved one day, hopefully the million dollars jogs some memories or conciences.

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

That was a very strange case, I always wonder why he stopped

The articles were very interesting . I never realised there were so many victim's.

One thing that always amazed me is that the victims were identified they were so young it seems wrong somehow ,I know at least  one of them had to move overseas to get away from people recognising her.

its the only time I can think of that happening . If  that had happened  to me Im sure I would hate to be identified.I can't remember now if that was deliberate or were they just identified as they were missing ? Can anyone remember...

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply