Moving into COVID-Normal...? Preparing for a post-COVID world, or "Living with COVID-19"

We're not there yet. We're not yet at a stage where we can truly consider the world to have moved to COVID-normal. But we can see it on the horizon, and we can start to live in a way that is locally "living with COVID-19", barring any setbacks with more virulent or more infectious strains of SARS-CoV-2.

This is due to the vaccines that have been developed, approved, and administered in Australia and in many parts of the world.

If you read the thread State by State, Australia vs Elsewhere, in the age of COVID-19 and beyond, particularly in reference to the Australian CHO Prof. Paul Kelly's opinion piece, that article in the post to which I've linked raises some interesting points.

It brings to the forefront of my mind a perception that the deaths and adverse outcomes he mentions are not acceptable. In the same way, I do not consider any preventable deaths as acceptable. It may be a pragmatic reality that such deaths and adverse outcomes occur; however, there are simple things we can do to limit those outcomes.

I have been advocating for certain hygiene measures and air purification measures for some time. That has to step up now. Some of these measures cost absolutely nothing; some will require some financial outlay. But what is the cost of human life?

• We must keep up the hand hygiene, and pass on those lessons to the next generation and the generation beyond that. COST: negligible. (Soap and water; ~70% alcohol-containing hand sanitiser; alcohol wipes for doors, rails, high touch areas, to prevent transmission by fomites)
  • It would be a good idea always to have a P2/N95 mask with us in the event of having respiratory symptoms, or being in the presence of anyone with such symptoms. COST: negligible for close-fitting cloth masks  washed daily. Higher cost if using reusable P2/N95 masks, and higher still if using single-use P2/N95 masks. Highest cost if test-fitted. (For immunocompromised individuals or those in close contact with such individuals or working in medical/health care settings, such a cost is not only affordable, but justified.)
  • If we wear a mask (so, presumably in a risky setting) and in the course of doing so TOUCH OUR MASK, such as adjusting it, or even fleetingly coming into contact with the outside of the mask, we must as soon as possible sanitise our hands. Do not touch your eyes or your ear or anyone else or another surface before sanitising your hands. COST: nothing.
  • There are crowded or high density settings that are unnecessary and can be avoided; maintain social distancing if possible and if appropriate. In social friendly settings, once we can relax and get back to hugging people and shaking hands, there will always be a risk but that is part of the price of being social beings and enjoying human relationships. COST: nothing.
  • If we experience symptoms of illness, we must not have the attitude of soldiering on. We must STAY HOME, and get tested for COVID-19 if our symptoms are associated with those of COVID-19. COST: unknown. This may result in more sick days, but these sorts of things are the reason for us having sick days - not to "chuck a sickie" and hoof off to the cricket or the footie.
  • If we are unwell, we MUST NOT VISIT HOSPITALS or AGED CARE or ANY INDIVIDUAL WHO IS VULNERABLE TO INFECTION. This includes stomach upsets and diarrhoea. Hospitals have had signs up warning visitors of precisely this for many years, but visitors persistently disregard this or talk themselves out of caring. That can no longer happen. We must stay away if we have or have recently had those symptoms, or we run the risk of bringing severe sickness or worse to the people we love most. COST: nothing.
  • If you have visitors to your home, open up your windows. This will increase ventilation and lower the risk of transmission of airborne viruses. COST: nothing.
  • Get a good HEPA air purifier if this is affordable within your budget. COST: variable, but  you can certainly get a good quality air purifier for $500 or perhaps a little more. There are mobile air purifiers available so that you can move it to where you are, thus maximising its effectiveness. Make sure it is big enough for the area, otherwise it will not provide the required purification effectiveness.
  • Now that rapid antigen tests are available, they should be used in appropriate settings. They are not a substitute for a nasopharyngeal swab, but they have their uses.

We should attempt to make Australia a nation of healthy individuals, but this is an immense task. Being healthy and fit reduces risk factors, so it does make sense for us to optimise our state of fitness. COST: I could say "nothing", but the truth is that this is a magic health outcome that GPs and nutritionists have been trying to achieve for a very long time. Ah well, that's a discussion for another day.

All of these measures can only help us in this Delta-variant world if the great majority are vaccinated.

And... of course... we have a responsibility to make those vaccines available to each nation and each individual. If we don't help the poor, not only is that our moral shame but it is an ongoing risk to every single one of us.

Message 1 of 73
Latest reply
72 REPLIES 72

Moving into COVID-Normal...? Preparing for a post-COVID world, or "Living with COVID-19"

@countessalmirena wrote:

4channel, I respectfully ask you to please keep to the topic. This thread has nothing to do with anti vaccination stances or a tennis star. You can post that sort of thing more appropriately in the threads that are on this very board, specifically focused on those topics.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Please go back and look. I wasn't the one who  put Mr. Djokovic into this thread. And the part about beliefs or rights, was by someone else. So I replied!

I was also replying to new arrival, celestialinter0.

Message 71 of 73
Latest reply

4channel, you’re right; you followed on from a mention. My concern was that this thread would be taken over by that sort of content, as I’ve seen in other threads where your posts were really taking threads along the same lines as specific threads where the purpose was obviously anti-mask, anti-COVID-vaccination, pro-sovereign citizen, etc. A brief mention of Mr Djokovic in the context of this thread’s purpose doesn’t pose any issue, of course…! It was the risk of him, for instance, somehow subverting the entire thread which would pose an issue.

If you weren’t intending to load that sort of content here, I should not have become concerned. In that case, I would owe you an apology for being needlessly preemptive and I’d rather give you that apology now in good faith that it wasn’t your intention to vaccjack this thread.

I am sorry.

It’s a worry - as we head towards winter - that sensible precautions are being dropped. Masks, hand hygiene and social distancing are effective in lowering risk of transmission of many respiratory diseases.

Hopefully, we’ll see a high uptake of this year’s ‘flu vaccine.

Message 72 of 73
Latest reply

@4channel wrote:

Mr. Djokovic challenged something that was not valid in the true sense. Not everything he did was correct but he was right challenging the unjust no-vax no entry rule.

It's all in the detail - he did not challenge the so called ' unjust no-vax no entry rule ' - he broke an existing law.

Discussion ??

Message 73 of 73
Latest reply