Mungo Man Comes Home

Mungo Man returned to ancestral home where he died 40,000 years ago

Traditional owners say the return of the remains of the historic Mungo Man, who was removed by scientists from his resting place more than 40 years ago, will provide closure and is a step toward reconciliation.

More than four decades ago anthropologists removed the ancient skeleton of an Aboriginal man, the discovery of which rewrote Australian history.

Now he has been returned home to his descendants, travelling for days in a hearse from Canberra.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-17/mungo-man-returned-to-ancestral-home/9159840

Can Australia's mordern Indiginous ppl really lay claim to him as an ancestor though?

An article from ABC science in 2001 says the following:

"In a technical tour de force, a team led by Thorne has extracted and analysed parts of a single gene from Mungo Man. More stunning still, the researchers claim that what they discovered is that the man's DNA is unlike anything they have ever seen. While Mungo Man was undoubtedly fully modern anatomically, he came from a genetic lineage that is now extinct."

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2001/01/01/2813404.htm

So if his lineage is now extinct, how can today's aborigines be his descendants?

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Mungo Man Comes Home

I think it mean Targett was 42 when it was discovered that Cheddar Man had descendants still living in the area, Bright.

Message 11 of 23
Latest reply

Mungo Man Comes Home

bright.ton42 wrote:This is fascinating. So Adrian Targett was 42 years old in 1903 and this indicates that his forebears all lived in Somerset for around 9000 years?Have I got this right?.

-------------------------

As icy says, I think it means Adrian Targett was 42 when the DNA matching was done in 1997.But you're right in that it seems to indicate that some of his maternal forebears had been in the region for thousands of years.

In 1997, it was reported that a living descendant of Cheddar Man had been found. In the report, it was written that DNA had been found in the pulp cavity of one of Cheddar Man's molars. The DNA was examined at Oxford Universitys Institute of Molecular Medicine. The results from the analysis were then compared with the DNA of 20 local individuals whose families were known to have been living in Cheddar for several generations. One of these individuals was identified as a descendant of Cheddar Man.

I suppose it sounds odd to us because we're used to a world where people move around a lot. People might drive 30km a day just to go to work. But from what i have read of a lot of English villages in the distant past, a lot of people stayed closer to home.

Also the thing to remember is there weren't that many people on earth back then, that's the thing that's hardest for me to get my head around. I understand it but don't always factor it in. I think what it comes down to though is there could be millions of people on earth now who are descendants of Cheddar Man. I read a book by Bryan Sykes a while back, really enjoyable it was, called "Seven daughters of Eve". It's about the mitachodrial DNA & from memory, I think that's where I first read of Cheddar man.

Message 12 of 23
Latest reply

Mungo Man Comes Home

Tks  springy,  It sounds a fascinating book,  i  think i will add it to one of the Christmas presents i will give to myself.Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 23
Latest reply

Mungo Man Comes Home

That's Swiss Cheese Man.........from the region around Geneva.

Message 14 of 23
Latest reply

Mungo Man Comes Home

@johcaschro wrote:

Maybe . . . just maybe . . . the Aussie Aboriginal boat people "invaded" via South East Asia and caused the extinction of the more ancient Mungo man people.

No one really knows, do they?

I've heard a theory about that. I think they were called Mungo Jerry!

Message 15 of 23
Latest reply

Mungo Man Comes Home

@not_for_sale2017 wrote:

@johcaschro wrote:

Maybe . . . just maybe . . . the Aussie Aboriginal boat people "invaded" via South East Asia and caused the extinction of the more ancient Mungo man people.

I've heard a theory about that. I think they were called Mungo Jerry!

Oh, Thanks!

now ive got Lady Rose in my head!

da dee dah dee, dah dee dah dah, my lady rose, my lady my lady lady rose....

Message 16 of 23
Latest reply

Mungo Man Comes Home

Smiley LOL Smiley LOL Smiley LOL

Message 17 of 23
Latest reply

Mungo Man Comes Home

A new look at ancient bones with the latest DNA technology has confirmed Aboriginal Australians as the continent's first people.

Researchers say the findings overturn a 2001 paper that argued the oldest known Australian human remains found near Lake Mungo in New South Wales were from an extinct lineage of modern humans that occupied the continent before Aboriginal Australians.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2016-06-07/dna-confirms-aboriginal-people-as-the-first-australian...

Message 18 of 23
Latest reply

Mungo Man Comes Home

Never thought I would see a discussion on Mungo Man.

We hire a house every year at Mildura and the owner lives next door.  He helps the indigenous people in the area

and one night he bought a koori man to join us at a bbq.  He told us the story of Mungo Man and sang us the song 

he had written and was singing at the ceremony when they brought Mungo Man home.  He also gave us a copy of

the cd.  It was very interesting.

photo 214a93fa3a9e326200857a2dbc30e730_zps379416e4.jpg
Message 19 of 23
Latest reply

Mungo Man Comes Home

johcaschro wrote:

History does tend to repeat itself, and it;always the boart ppl isn't it?

I suppose, Australia being an island continent, it would always be the boat ppl causing trouble, lol.

Message 20 of 23
Latest reply