Mystery of the wet kitchen cupboard

gleee58
Community Member

Every time we have a 0 temperature morning my under sink cupboard gets flooded.

Any of you bright people got a clue why?

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Mystery of the wet kitchen cupboard

We found under our kitchen sink cupboard soaking wet yesterday morning.. *sigh*... turned out to be a split in the dishwasher hose. Made me clean and tidy it all up though.  Man Wink

Could your wet cupboard be dampness like condensation? 

How wet is it?

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Possibly the sink elbow underneath, the water inside freezes and then any water that's then sent through the sink comes out of the overflow until the water in the bottom of the elbow thaws.

But that means it's darn cold under your sink.

You could of course be getting a similar backup from outside depending on how the plumbing was done.

image host
Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Gleee, you dont live on houseboat, do you?

lol

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

@janeababe wrote:

We found under our kitchen sink cupboard soaking wet yesterday morning.. *sigh*... turned out to be a split in the dishwasher hose. Made me clean and tidy it all up though.  Man Wink

Could your wet cupboard be dampness like condensation? 

How wet is it?

I've checked the dishwasher hoses for leaks and wetness but can't find anything.  

I've been checking for water after using it and after using sink and nothing then when we have a freezing night there is a huge puddle.  It's enough to spill onto the floor in front of the cupboard.  

It's driving me nuts.   I thought it might be backing up from the drain, but no, it doesn't seem to be that.  The cupboard walls don't seem to be wet or have water marks on them.  There is a power point on one that's lower than the water so I think that would short out if the water was running down the wall.  It's the same wall the water pipes are on.  Nothing feels wet or looks water marked.  I just get a puddle every time the temp drops to about freezing point.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

@kopenhagen5 wrote:

Possibly the sink elbow underneath, the water inside freezes and then any water that's then sent through the sink comes out of the overflow until the water in the bottom of the elbow thaws.

But that means it's darn cold under your sink.

You could of course be getting a similar backup from outside depending on how the plumbing was done.

I don't think I have an overflow but yes, that's what it seems like.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

@youcandoityoucandoityoucandoit wrote:

Gleee, you dont live on houseboat, do you?

lol

I wish, at times  😄

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member

If you've got a bit of knitting wool handy you can check where it might be coming from.

Tie one piece above the elbow,(that checks it it's coming from the plug hole area).

Put one piece below the elbow,(to check it it's coming from there),

Do the same with the tap lines.

Then tie one to the pipe and bring the other to jamb in the door or tie to the handle,(that will check for

condensation).

If only one is wet that should pinpoint it but if all are wet then the most likely cause is condensation.

Our back porch roof has no lining so it's only exposed metel and when it get's frosty it forms condensation

under it which drips down,(it's a fair amount of water so if you sink is exposed metal at the bottom it could be

the cause).

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Yes the sink is exposed metal.  I've checked around the edges of the sink because I thought if the leak was there the particle wood lining the bench top would be affected but it seems to be all good still.    A leak through the plug hole fitting is about all I can think of as the cause at the moment but every time I feel it there is no moisture.  It is truly baffling.  😄

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply