Naplan - how hard is this?

I have been trying to help my daughter plan and study for Year 7 Naplan and I give up!

The reading task is so complicated and the maths is impossible for me. The latter I can understand as maths isn't my strong point but reading and comprehension is something I have always been good at.

I can only suggest that my daughter (who has a learning difficulty) do what she can but I suspect most of her pages will be blank!

Anyone elses kids doing Year 7 Naplan at the moment?

Message 1 of 91
Latest reply
90 REPLIES 90

gleee58
Community Member

@i-need-a-martini wrote:

I have been trying to help my daughter plan and study for Year 7 Naplan and I give up!

The reading task is so complicated and the maths is impossible for me. The latter I can understand as maths isn't my strong point but reading and comprehension is something I have always been good at.

I can only suggest that my daughter (who has a learning difficulty) do what she can but I suspect most of her pages will be blank!

I don't think they're expected to finish all the questions.  

Are you able to share the ones she's struggling with?  

Message 2 of 91
Latest reply

Here is a Naplan test in the SMH for viewers.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/education/are-you-smarter-than-a-naplan-student-20150511-ggz2qb.html

Message 3 of 91
Latest reply

@gleee58 wrote:

@i-need-a-martini wrote:

I don't think they're expected to finish all the questions.  

Are you able to share the ones she's struggling with?  

She is struggling with all of it sadly.

But as an example, look at question 2 on this link: http://www.qcaa.qld.edu.au/downloads/p_10/naplan_year7_test_prep_set1_2009.pdf

Message 4 of 91
Latest reply

Or this: http://www.qcaa.qld.edu.au/downloads/p_10/naplan_year7_read_man_from_waterloo_student.pdf

The poem itself is extremely difficult. And I had to keep going back to read the poem again and again to answer the questions.

But for a child who is a slow reader, this is near impossible for them to do.

Message 5 of 91
Latest reply

My children told me not to take it seriously so I have never placed any credence to their results.

I'm not sure it matters a great deal what their result is.

Photobucket
Message 6 of 91
Latest reply

@donnashuggy wrote:

My children told me not to take it seriously so I have never placed any credence to their results.

But it's the equivelent of the HSC for Year 7.

My daughter is completely in a tizz about not being able to answer the questions. And our school is not an academically inclined school.

So I can only imagine the stress kids in selective schools are facing this week. Or kids who's parents have put pressure on them to do well.

Poor little mites.

Message 7 of 91
Latest reply

@i-need-a-martini wrote:

@donnashuggy wrote:

But it's the equivelent of the HSC for Year 7.

My daughter is completely in a tizz about not being able to answer the questions. And our school is not an academically inclined school.

So I can only imagine the stress kids in selective schools are facing this week. Or kids who's parents have put pressure on them to do well.

Poor little mites.

have you seen this.jpg

Photobucket
Message 8 of 91
Latest reply

When my son did the naplan( a number of years ago, in Melbourne) he had friends who didnt even sit it.

I dont know if it is now compulsory?

But it wasnt the equivalent of the VCE (aka HSC) I seem to remember it was used as a comparison of learning between schools..

It maybe different now, Im talking 8 years ago..

I hope your daughter can calm down a bit about it- I feel for her.

Message 9 of 91
Latest reply

Sorry - I have mislead you. It isn;t the equivelent of the HSC in Year 7. But It FEELS like that to the kids and they all seem to be treating it as seriously as something as the HSC.

I could have pulled my daughter out (and had I know how stressed she would be, I would have) but didn't because I have always told her that she should give everything a go no matter what.

The stress isn't due to the school. It is more peer discussion and she is reflecting the panic that her friends are feeling.

Message 10 of 91
Latest reply