Naplan - how hard is this?

I have been trying to help my daughter plan and study for Year 7 Naplan and I give up!

The reading task is so complicated and the maths is impossible for me. The latter I can understand as maths isn't my strong point but reading and comprehension is something I have always been good at.

I can only suggest that my daughter (who has a learning difficulty) do what she can but I suspect most of her pages will be blank!

Anyone elses kids doing Year 7 Naplan at the moment?

Message 1 of 91
Latest reply
90 REPLIES 90

Nova, I agree, they are written to test thinking and capability rather than to test what has been taught..

i didn't know that.

i thought it was a literacy and numeracy

test in yrs 3,5,7 and 9 and it tests what had

been taught.

i had a look at some examples and they

don't seem difficult at all.

http://www.nap.edu.au/naplan/the-tests/the-tests.html

Message 21 of 91
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Martini, there's some interesting reading in this article -

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/features/busting-the-naplan-myths/story-e6frg6z6-1226913710635

When my grandkids were doing the tests, they came home with the information

that the school had told the 'dumb' kids to stay home, as the results would be a

bad reflection on the school's teachings.

So, IMO the results are for the school, not the kid

Message 22 of 91
Latest reply

Too late to edit   -   the results also reflected on the school's funding at the time.

Don't know if it still does though

Message 23 of 91
Latest reply

from your link:

1. NAPLAN is too stressful for students, particularly young children

Tests were not invented for ­NAPLAN. Schools have been testing students since the days of chalk and slates. Nor are literacy and numeracy tests new. NSW has run a basic skills test of literacy and numeracy since 1990 and by the mid-1990s the other states and territories had followed its lead.

These tests were compared in order to compile an annual ­national report on children’s literacy and numeracy skills.

The difference with NAPLAN is that for the first time all students across the nation sit the same test on the same day, and the individual school results are made public on the MySchool website. It is the publication of the test results that is the major cause of the angst.

Verdict: Publishing the results creates an expectation of continual improvement, but this is what the community expects from its schools anyway.

NAPLAN is a snapshot of student and school performance. It’s not the definitive assessment of all that schools do, but an insight into how they perform in the most fundamental of skills. Without reading, writing and maths, any student will struggle to learn anything.

Randall puts it into context: “It’s only a few hours across three days at four points in a child’s schooling.”

The consequences for students of not having adequate literacy and numeracy skills lasts much longer. As literacy researcher Jennifer Buckingham, a fellow at the Centre for Independent Studies, observed recently: “NAPLAN tests are much less stressful than illiteracy.”

Message 24 of 91
Latest reply

and this is why julia gillard's education revolution

was necessary:

Before the introduction of NAPLAN and the national curriculum, Australia had some of the lowest requirements in the OECD for the amount of time devoted to teaching literacy. Now, one in four primary school students performs below international minimum benchmarks. We have the worst primary school literacy of any English-speaking country and are only just above the lowest performing developed countries in the world.

http://grattan.edu.au/news/the-naysayers-must-face-the-writing-on-the-wall-naplan-will-improve-liter...

Message 25 of 91
Latest reply

My kids love doing Naplan and have always done well in it.

My daughter is doing Yr 9 Naplan this week

We did tests when i was in school and i dont believe it hurts kids to do tests now.

I think if these tests cause so much stress for some kids, then that shows that they should be doing even more tests in the classrooms.

Whats the issue with learning something and then being tested on how well you learnt it?

photo walkingdeadtag_zpsbaca2fdd.jpg
Message 26 of 91
Latest reply

@i-need-a-martini wrote:

Sorry - I have mislead you. It isn;t the equivelent of the HSC in Year 7. But It FEELS like that to the kids and they all seem to be treating it as seriously as something as the HSC.

I could have pulled my daughter out (and had I know how stressed she would be, I would have) but didn't because I have always told her that she should give everything a go no matter what.

The stress isn't due to the school. It is more peer discussion and she is reflecting the panic that her friends are feeling.

Naplan is a reflection on how well the school is educating it's students.

I firmly believe every student should do the test.....not just the advanced students..... it might help bring in extra resources, funding,

teachers aids.  

siggie-reported-by-alarmists..............
Message 27 of 91
Latest reply

@daydream**believer wrote:

My daughter is doing Yr 9 Naplan this week

We did tests when i was in school and i dont believe it hurts kids to do tests now.

I think if these tests cause so much stress for some kids, then that shows that they should be doing even more tests in the classrooms.

Whats the issue with learning something and then being tested on how well you learnt it?

Naplan is not a test of students and how well they have learned.  It is a test of the teachers and how well they have taught.

Message 28 of 91
Latest reply

Your kids would have to be the only kids in Australia who "love" doing Naplan.  

Yes test them on what they are learning but these tests are not related to what they have been learning in the classroom. (Thats why it stresses kids)  It's more about "trying" to determine how well the school is educating the children.  

Message 29 of 91
Latest reply

@secondhand-wonderland wrote:

Your kids would have to be the only kids in Australia who "love" doing Naplan.  

Yes test them on what they are learning but these tests are not related to what they have been learning in the classroom. (Thats why it stresses kids)  It's more about "trying" to determine how well the school is educating the children.  

The students should be learning these things in the classrooms......that's why they go to school.

siggie-reported-by-alarmists..............
Message 30 of 91
Latest reply