Nash - Minister for Alcohol and Food Industries?

ww.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/alcohol-and-other-drugs-council-of-australia-shuts-doors-after-fiona-nash-cuts-off-funding-20140

An organisation that has been advising Australian governments on alcohol and drug policy for almost half a century shut its doors on Friday.

The Alcohol and Other Drugs Council of Australia, which has operated since 1966, was placed in voluntary administration in November after Assistant Health Minister Fiona Nash decided it would receive no further funding.

Senator Nash told a parliamentary hearing this week she had refused requests to meet with the chief executive and board of the council, instead giving her then chief of staff, Alastair Furnival, the job of breaking the news to the organisation.

''It just beggars belief that a minister responsible for alcohol seems to be taking policy decisions without talking with any of the key groups,'' said Mike Daube, the Public Health Association of Australia's spokesman on alcohol.

''I think she needs to show us whether she's the minister for prevention or the minister for the alcohol and food industries.''

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

I read about that yesterday. Astounding, that Furnival seemingly was calling the shots.

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

@freakiness wrote:

I read about that yesterday. Astounding, that Furnival seemingly was calling the shots.

All the things that the Government are cutting, closing and changing and a lot of the decisions only work in the favour of big business - it's not hard to see who the LNP counts as their mates.  and the State Lib govts are exactly the same.

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply