Native American actors - How hard has it been for them?

I've often thought about Hollywood and how in the early days, the majority of film work given to African American actors were roles as servants, porters, train conductors or "savages". Things have improved somewhat! But back in that day, Native Americans were not given roles to play themselves. Actually it still contnues today. Sure, there were a few exceptions, Jay Silverheels in The Lone Ranger etc.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

|HUFFPOST|

A Brief History Of White Actors Playing Native Americans

Mar. 13, 2014, 04:23 PM EDT | Updated Dec. 6, 2017

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/white-actors-native-americans_n_4957555

------------------------------------------------------------------

The Washington Post

100 times a white actor played someone who wasn’t white

Hollywood has moved on from blackface, but it remains terrible at casting people of color.

By Meredith Simons

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2016/01/28/100-times-a-white-actor-played-someone-w...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some of my own observations that come to mind.

* Jeff Chandler (Real name Ira Grossel) as Cochise in Broken Arrow - Jewish background

* Don Diamond (Crazy Cat",  Chief Wild Eagle's side-kick) in F Troop - Russian, Jewish

* Iron Eyes Cody (real name Espera Oscar DeCorti) - Many Native American roles - Italian / Sicilian

* J. W. Cody (brother of Espera) ( real name Joseph DeCorti) - Many Native American roles - Italian / Sicillian background

*  Burgess Meredith as Charlie Lightcloud in Stay Away Joe - Anglo background

* Frank de Kova as Chief Wild Eagle in F Troop - Italian background

* Shelly Morrison as The Pima Squaw in McKenna's Gold - Spanish (Shephardic Jewish)

* Roy Thinnes as The Indian in Charley One Eye -  of German ancestry

Sam Waterston as White Bull in Eagle's Wing - Irish, Scot

There's so many more. Rock Hudson ( German, Swiss, English and Irish descent) playing Young Bull in the 1950s film, Winchester 73 was a surprise.

Obviously some roles for films predicted to be blockbusters would have to go to a big name actor, IE: Jeff Chandler in Cochise as that's who the public would want to see in a major film. But, supporting roles could have been offered. There were many talented Native American actors craving work. No wonder there were hardly any Native American stars back then. It was due to them not having the chance to work their way up. Very sad really.

BTW: I can't remember that big tall guy with the blue eyes that played Native Americans in 60s Westerns. He may have been in McKenna's Gold as well.

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Hi 4channel,  it certainly was/is a struggle for equality all round, I agree with you.  It still is in many areas;  would you agree it is just more cunningly hidden, and perhaps, not so hidden but done in a more publicly subtle (and not so subtle) way?

Racism and discrimination seems to be a universal human flaw in some .  One could have hoped that by this, the 21st century, it would have disappeared, but I fear it never will (disappear);  then again,  changes do occur but it takes far too long.

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

I don't know about Hollywood, but  The Lone Ranger's sidekick, Tonto, was played by an indigenous Canadian, Jay Silverheels.

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

@tasfleur wrote:

Hi 4channel,  it certainly was/is a struggle for equality all round, I agree with you.  It still is in many areas;  would you agree it is just more cunningly hidden, and perhaps, not so hidden but done in a more publicly subtle (and not so subtle) way?

-------------------------------------------------------

It can be all of that and concurrent too but it depends on the agenda. Obviously with Native Americans, with positions of prominence, fame and recognition etc.,  keeping them down at the bottom of the ladder took away power in many areas. Political was one. Without Native Americans having political clout, the rest of the public were educated by Hollywood and omissions from text books.

@tasfleur wrote:

Racism and discrimination seems to be a universal human flaw in some .  One could have hoped that by this, the 21st century, it would have disappeared, but I fear it never will (disappear);  then again,  changes do occur but it takes far too long.

It exists because of hidden agendas with corporate greed being the biggest motivator.  Jack Shaheen opened my eyes even more to how perceptions are formed. Here he is with his presentation of  Hollywood Stereotypes of Arabs and Muslims . I recall seeing his excellent documentary, Reel Bad Arabs on SBS or ABC one night years ago.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

Not exactly sure that Native Americans were too keen on playing "themselves" back in the era of the Lone Ranger when western films were wildly popular.  In the movies back then about all an "Indian" had to do was scalp someone or fall off their horse when shot... possibly not a message that real Native Americans wanted to be involved with.  

In a later film, Little Big Man, several actual Native American actors were used... many in key roles.

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

I'm already confused.

Is the ' discussion ' - Native Americans - or - Arabs & Muslims. ??

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

I don't think Native Americans were wanting to "play themselves"  because that's not who they were/are in real life anyway.  I think it was about First Nations people deserving and wanting to be given equality in employment, as well as human rights, commensurate with what like any other person, no matter what creed, colour and/or religion, they are just as entitled to.

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

I agree with what you said, tas.

I would just add that Hollywood is a money-making machine, and not always kind to children either (both white and black), who are used as long as they are cute and profitable and dumped when they grow up, with so many ending up destroying themselves with drugs or even killing themselves.

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

The majority of cowboy and Indian westerns during the period you highlight depicted the Indian as a savage redskin who murdered men, women and children to try and prevent white settlement. I doubt any proud Native American actor would have considered a role in such a movie. They deserve more credit and respect.

Below is a link to a list of 50 Native American actors thought to be excellent at their craft. While Hollywood now frowns on John Wayne-type westerns, I think the vast majority of the 50 wouldn't have a bar of them if they were resurrected and offered a role.

https://www.mrdustbin.com/us/native-american-actors/ 

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

@the_great_she_elephant wrote:

I don't know about Hollywood, but  The Lone Ranger's sidekick, Tonto, was played by an indigenous Canadian, Jay Silverheels.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He was one of the first that  came to mind. One of the very few to get work that regular and on TV too. I wonder what his wages would have been?

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply