Neighbours, everybody loves good neighbours....but do they?

Havent posted for a while...hello all.

Curious, how do you like your  neighbours?  Do you think it's important to have a good relationship or you prefer to keep your distance? We have moved to a new town, our neighbours are not friendly at all, our previous neighbours were too friendly, (think mrs jessup for those that remember)...or Mrs Kravitz, so quite happy to keep our distance but one particular side has accused us of doing something that we did not do and now we are no longer on speaking terms (we werent that friendlly before just idle chit chat)...I was so angry at first but now I just ignore them if I see them.   Love them or leave them?

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Ignore them and move on

I only have 1 immediate neighbour, he's totally OCD, we dont like them, they dont like us    .... so never speak to them

Have a wonderful neighbour across the road, she helps us, we help her, often have a chat outside and like it that way

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

On one side I haven't spoken to them for years (no fights, just we never see each other).

On the other side I don't see them very much either but when I've had a couple of falls last year they heard me call out for help and rang an ambulance.  I think they sometimes put my bin out (well someone does) but it's kind of random.  I'll admit I there have been a few times I wish I could call on them for help but I don't know their surname of phone number and I can't walk to their house...plus I dont want to end up being thought of as a pest.

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

@zanadoo_56 wrote:

On one side I haven't spoken to them for years (no fights, just we never see each other).

On the other side I don't see them very much either but when I've had a couple of falls last year they heard me call out for help and rang an ambulance.  I think they sometimes put my bin out (well someone does) but it's kind of random.  I'll admit I there have been a few times I wish I could call on them for help but I don't know their surname of phone number and I can't walk to their house...plus I dont want to end up being thought of as a pest.

oh thats a shame, you should never think of yourself as a pest.  My mother is elderly(not insinuating that you are)  and both her neighbours help her if she needs it (put bins in/out) and I know she could ring them if she needed urgent assistance.  

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

@lyhargr_0 wrote:

Ignore them and move on

I only have 1 immediate neighbour, he's totally OCD, we dont like them, they dont like us    .... so never speak to them

Have a wonderful neighbour across the road, she helps us, we help her, often have a chat outside and like it that way

yes thats what Ive done.  Our dogs bark at each other through the fence I used to shush mine but they never do so now I let him go for it lol.

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

We only have one direct neighbor where we live. A lovely, sprightly old lady in her late 80,s who used to own an outback pub.. A few years ago a friend of hers turned 80 and to celebrate the old dears, got her long deceased husbands, large 1970,s Pontiac car out of the garage after years of storage, got it serviced and running well and set off on a six week road trip. No plans, just drive and find somewhere to stay at night. Apparently they made it to the Queensland border from central SA and had a great time. Real Thelma & Louise stuff.........Smiley Very Happy

We often take the time to stop and chat if she is out the front of the house and looked after her garden for a couple of months when she had a stay in hospital. She lives in the most humble little transportable house with fake brick panelling you could imagine, but when you step into the lounge she has several huge works of fine art by noted Australian painters in heavily decorated frames completely covering the walls. Apparently her and her late husband purchased them when they ran the busy outback pub, to cover the vast pub walls and when they retired in the 1980,s , they mounted the monsters in the tiny lounge room where they have been ever since. ..........Smiley Very Happy ......I,m sure the fine art auction houses would love to discover that little stash.

I just hope I am as positive and get as much fun out of life as she does when I get old. Shes a real inspiration.

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

We've got excellent neighbours. Can't say we're close to any of them exactly, but everyone has always got along, it's a pleasant court to live in.

My daughter though has recently started to have trouble with one set of neighbours. She says the ones she has met are not bad people as such, they are nice enough but look a bit on the rough side, she isn't sure who actually owns the place as there are always so many walking in and out and what look to be half a dozen kids as well.

But they must have bought a karaoke machine a month or so before Xmas and several nights a week, they play this up as loud as possible till about 2am-3am in the morning. It's not just fridays or weekends either, it is sometimes week nights. It has been all the talk on one of their community facebook pages.

My daughter says nothing, she is scared they might turn on her if she does. People up to a block away are complaining of not being able to sleep. Apparently this is not a police matter, it has to be reported to council & notes taken of every time it happens & then they can be fined, but my daughter doesn't want to do that as she has to live there.

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

Dunno why its not a police matter, it certainly is in Vic.

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

@givemeaspell wrote:

@lyhargr_0 wrote:

Ignore them and move on

yes thats what Ive done.  Our dogs bark at each other through the fence I used to shush mine but they never do so now I let him go for it lol.

The one next door to me "thinks" he own our place and can tell us what to do. He found out the hard way, that we dont take that kinda behaviour. 

My neighbour across the road is lovely ( think I said that already ). She is almost 85, still runs her own 400 acre cattle farm, mows her own lawns etc etc. I hope she is there for many yr to come

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

@lyhargr_0 wrote:

Dunno why its not a police matter, it certainly is in Vic.

I,m in S.A and noisy parties are a police matter where I live. So much so that the teenagers dont have parties in the town anymore. The cops would have the parties shut down by 10.30 - 11.00 pm.

The result is all of the parties are located on farms 20-30 km. from town. One enterprising family even rent their farm out for $500 per night for teenage parties. The farm shows are always well run with security on the gate. No-one gets in or out without an invitation and parents are monitered by security when they come to pick up the kids at the end of the night. The cops quite often run RBT,s a couple of KM,s up the road, but the kids can camp at the farms if they have been drinking.

All up it seems to work quite well with no car accidents on the way home so far, although Kangaroos are a problem and no major problems at the parties with uninvited guests. I suspect they are a lot safer than the parties I used to go to as a teenager. Unfortunately not everyone got home safetly from those, as drink driving was common in the bush in the 1980,s.

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply