New Powers For Immigration Minister Lead To 781 Revoked Visas

Eight murderers and 56 child-sex offenders were among 781 non-citizens who had their visas cancelled on character grounds in the first nine months of last year.

Figures obtained by The Australian show the number of visa cancellations has increased drama­tically since Immigration Minister Peter Dutton was given tougher powers, which came into effect in December 2014, to act against non-citizens con­victed and given jail sentences of more than 12 months.

The 781 visa cancellations in the nine months to September 30 compares with 372 in the three years to July 2014.

However, the visa cancellation has been challenged in about 70 per cent of cases, or 552 of the 781 visas. Depending on the circumstances, the decision to cancel a visa can be challenged through the Administrative Appeal­s Tribun­al or the courts.

Of the 67 revocation requests that have been decided, 24 (36 per cent) of the cancellations were revoked and the visas were reinstated.

Immigration Department figures reveal the top five nations for visa cancellations were: New Zealand, Britain, Sudan, Vietnam and Fiji. In the first nine months of the year, 146 New Zealanders were deported.

Mr Dutton told The Australian: “ If you are here on a visa and you break the law, your visa will be cancelled. The Australian public would expect nothing less.’’

Violence-related offences ­including destroying and damaging property and assault account­ed for nearly 37 per cent of the visa cancellations between December­ 11, 2014, and September 30.

Thirty non-citizens had their visas cancelled for rape or other sexual offences while 30 had their visas cancelled for fraud ­deception and white-collar crimes. Sixty non-

However, the visa cancellation has been challenged in about 70 per cent of cases, or 552 of the 781 visas. Depending on the circumstances, the decision to cancel a visa can be challenged through the Administrative Appeal­s Tribun­al or the courts.

Of the 67 revocation requests that have been decided, 24 (36 per cent) of the cancellations were revoked and the visas were reinstated.

Immigration Department figures reveal the top five nations for visa cancellations were: New Zealand, Britain, Sudan, Vietnam and Fiji. In the first nine months of the year, 146 New Zealanders were deported.

Mr Dutton told The Australian: “ If you are here on a visa and you break the law, your visa will be cancelled. The Australian public would expect nothing less.’’

Violence-related offences ­including destroying and damaging property and assault account­ed for nearly 37 per cent of the visa cancellations between December­ 11, 2014, and September 30.

Thirty non-citizens had their visas cancelled for rape or other sexual offences while 30 had their visas cancelled for fraud ­deception and white-collar crimes.

Sixty non-citizens had visas cancelled for theft, robbery or breaking and entering while 58 had their visas cancelled for armed robbery.

There were six visa cancellations for manslaughter, one for kidnapping and 95 for drug offences.

The Immigration Department told a Senate estimates committee last year the number of people in detention as a result of mandatory cancellation was “higher than anticipated’’.

It reflected the large number of people whose visas were mandatorily cancelled because they were already­ serving a prison sentence when the new legislation was introduced.

Entire Article Here

That'll free up a bit of space in our gaols!

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

esayaf
Community Member
How about freeing up space by not gaoling people for minor crime. Instead of ridiculous laws such as a maximum penalty of two years gaol for swearing
Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

Good!  That has rid us of some, at least.

Who is paying for all the legal fees when they appeal?  Yep!  Us dumb taxpayers, of course.

I want all those people who demonsrate,  and shout that we should let them stay, to be investigated to see if they are connected, in any way,  to the lawyers who are getting fat off all the legal fees.  Always follow the money!

I also want the government to make public exactly what it is costing us to maintain all the detention centres...tell me what these queue jumpers make us spend in TOTAL.  

After that is made perfectly clear maybe I'll listen to them tell why they have to raise the GST.

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

I wonder how many Aussies get booted out of foreign countries,particularly Thailand,the Philippines,Cambodia and Vietnam,if you follow me.
Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

@doobelly wrote:

Good!  That has rid us of some, at least.

Who is paying for all the legal fees when they appeal?  Yep!  Us dumb taxpayers, of course.

I want all those people who demonsrate,  and shout that we should let them stay, to be investigated to see if they are connected, in any way,  to the lawyers who are getting fat off all the legal fees.  Always follow the money!

I also want the government to make public exactly what it is costing us to maintain all the detention centres...tell me what these queue jumpers make us spend in TOTAL.  

After that is made perfectly clear maybe I'll listen to them tell why they have to raise the GST.

What an absolute load of codswallop. My son is one of your despised lawyers who act for the refugees and he does it pro bono. Free. Get your facts right.

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

@icyfroth wrote:

Eight murderers and 56 child-sex offenders were among 781 non-citizens who had their visas cancelled on character grounds in the first nine months of last year.

Figures obtained by The Australian show the number of visa cancellations has increased drama­tically since Immigration Minister Peter Dutton was given tougher powers, which came into effect in December 2014, to act against non-citizens con­victed and given jail sentences of more than 12 months.

[...] 

Entire Article Here

That'll free up a bit of space in our gaols!

It is expensive to keep people in prison. The taxpayer must meet the cost of maintaining prisoners and that cost is estimated to be $300 per prisoner and $600 for each juvenile.

http://www.cla.asn.au/News/prison-costs-up-numbers-up/

The CLA estimates the cost to be $108,999 per year. It might be time to rethink how we deal with our prisoners. Why not ask PNG and other mendicant countries to earn their foreign aid. If we make it a condition of foreign aid for some of those countries to house some of our prisoners the Australian taxpayers might catch a break. The cost would come down to about $80 per day which would be a massive saving for the taxpayers.

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

Believes in science.Tick
Doesn't vote right wing.Tick
Doesn't hate foreigners.Tick
Doesn't blame the disadvantaged for the world's woes.Tick.
Not interested in cars,sport or beer.Tick.

Sorry,icy.I don't qualify.
Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

Ha I guess Australia was built on involuntary transportation of criminals 

Photobucket
Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

johcaschro
Community Member

"Thirty non-citizens had their visas cancelled for rape or other sexual offences while 30 had their visas cancelled for fraud ­deception and white-collar crimes.

Sixty non-citizens had visas cancelled for theft, robbery or breaking and entering while 58 had their visas cancelled for armed robbery.

There were six visa cancellations for manslaughter, one for kidnapping and 95 for drug offences"

Sure, cancel their visas and chuck them out. We demand and deserve a better class and  a higher standard of illegal immigrant.

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

What people? What demonstrations? I haven't seen anyone taking to the streets to protest any of those deportations.

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply