New flag?

I like the Reconcilliation Flag the most, followed by the Southern Horizon Flag.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-01-26/alternative-australian-flags-ranked-by-university-survey/71139...

"There is nothing more; but I want nothing more." Christopher Hitchins
Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: New flag?

I think any new flag must acknowledge indigenous Australia, but, as someone said in the comments under that article, the "reconcilliation" flag is just too "busy." Maybe thy could use red and ochre in the 'horizon' flag instead of green and gold.

I noticed in the comments someone asked if Aboriginal elders had had any input into a possible design. They might have some good ideas.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

esayaf
Community Member
I hate all flags. They're really not much different to religion.
Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

I think any new flag must acknowledge indigenous Australia, but, as someone said in the comments under that article, the "reconcilliation" flag is just too "busy." Maybe thy could use red and ochre in the 'horizon' flag instead of green and gold.

I noticed in the comments someone asked if Aboriginal elders had had any input into a possible design. They might have some good ideas.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Like one of my part-aboriginal grandsons said; Take away the Union Jack and replace it with the Aboriginal flag.

Leave the blue with the southern cross, it would unite both indigenous and new Australians.

All white people here are New Australians. Most of the first convicts and settlers did not even know where Australia was or who lived there. Except from recent fugitives / assylum seekers, there are only native and new Australians.

Erica

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

Southern Horizon Flag if I had to pick one but I don't think we need a new flag at all.

I also think as well as those new options they should have included the flag we already have. then you would get a better idea if people wish to keep the existing flag.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

I hate to say it, but the new designs remind me of "emerging nations" offerings  How about simply outlining the "southern cross" stars in black on the current flag?

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

I think we definitely need a new flag, the present one has been hijacked and demeaned by the racists & bigots.  I actually like the flag as it is, although I do not like the symbolism of the union jack, and I used to like seeing it, there was something reassuring about it, but it has another meaning now.

I do like the Southern Horizon Flag best, I think it an excellent design, but it could be anybody's.  I think we need something that at first glance makes it obvious that it belongs to Australia.  Definitely an Aboriginal element, but I personally do not like heavy dark colours on flags. 

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 7 of 7
Latest reply