Nina Ricci Heiress Jailed For Tax Evasion

Nina Ricci heiress jailed for hiding millions from French tax authorities with Swiss HSBC 

Britain has come under renewed criticism for its failure to prosecute tax evaders hiding cash at HSBC’s Swiss arm, as a French court handed down a jail sentence to the heiress of the Nina Ricci fashion and perfume fortune for the same crime.

Arlette Ricci, 73, was sentenced to a year in prison and two years suspended for “fraude fiscale” (hiding millions of euros to evade French taxes). She was also fined €1m (£720,000) and given a suspended sentence of a further two years.

Her daughter, Margot Vignat, 51, was also convicted and given an eight-month suspended sentence.

Ms Ricci, who can appeal, was ordered to pay millions in back taxes – the precise amount will be set at a later date. The French court also confiscated two properties worth €4m.

Ms Ricci is the first of 50 French people facing trial over HSBC Switzerland accounts which were leaked to the authorities by whistleblower Hervé Falciani.

The French government handed British authorities the UK names on the list more than five years ago. While HMRC says it has collected £135m from those 3,600 individuals, companies and trusts, all but one have avoided criminal prosecution. Many did a deal with the British government, which gave them exemption if they fully disclosed all the information. 

“The French are showing that you can defend the taxpayer’s interest much more aggressively by challenging rich individuals and multinationals. All we ask is that they pay a fair share of tax.”

Entire Article Here

If someone blew the whistle on Tax evaders here in Australia they'd probably prosecute the whistleblower lol

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

I'm glad she was jailed. I wonder if she'll be allowed to take l'Air du Temps into the cell. 

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

yeah well she got 2 years of her 3 year term suspended, so she still has some clout lol.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Does that mean I won't have to pay off my gown?
Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

@myoclon1cjerk wrote:
Does that mean I won't have to pay off my gown?

You can work it off.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Other countries are doing it, so it's time we did it as well.  Then we have enough money for our schools and hospitals, and everything else we need.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

@***super_nova*** wrote:

Other countries are doing it, so it's time we did it as well.  Then we have enough money for our schools and hospitals, and everything else we need.

totally agree.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply