North Korea releases US student Otto Warmbier

North Korea releases US student Otto Warmbier, officials say he is in coma

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-14/us-student-warmbier-said-to-be-in-coma-released-by-north-korea...

what is it with some people? of all the places, if your an american, you really should not be, its north korea!

so really, you end up in a coma? well duh!

maybe someone should tell all US students, if you must travel, go to somewhere inside the USA

Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

All I can say at this time is why would anyone want to go/visit  such a paranoid, maladroit and delusionally savagely run society?  It is beyond me.

Clearly, North Korea is a dangerous dictatorship where the majority of it's long suffering people are ruled by fear, greed and insanity from the very top down.

I feel for the family of Otto Warmbier and hope that what the North Koreans did to him can be healed and that he will ultimately recover physically and mentally, but I have serious doubts ...  Smiley Sad

Message 2 of 28
Latest reply

He was arrested for removing a poster of Kim Jong?  An act of hostility?  Sentenced to 15 years hard labour?

It begs the question as others have said why in god's name would anyone and i mean anyone go near that place with that lunatic dictator? 

Message 3 of 28
Latest reply

@davidc4430 wrote:

maybe someone should tell all US students, if you must travel, go to somewhere inside the USA

Come, come David,

Have been there on numerous occasions.

I think they should get out more often - see how the other half lives - & - it isn't all bad.

On the whole - quite an insular society - no idea of the rest of the world.

Some - perhaps - most haven't been ' outside ' .

Nth Korea - a bad choice for anyone with a single cell.

Message 4 of 28
Latest reply

I just heard on the Abc that the poor student has been in a coma since March ......last year!!

Got  botulism poisoning is the official report.

Moral of the story ......don't mess with raging lunatics in power.  

How could this have been prevented......his near murder....is AMerica totally hamstrung with Nth kOrea?

Message 5 of 28
Latest reply

I'm not sure about the botulism Brights ... I wonder if it's more likely they either knowingly gave him tainted food or have beaten him so badly that he's brain damaged and comatose via that.  

It is appalling, but I think he's ended up like he has only because he's a foreigner who stepped on someone's toes, and with the paranoia, cruelty and absolute insanity of the regime there, it takes very little for them to find any reason at all to torture and kill without a second thought, even their own people.

I feel so sorry for the ordinary people of NK who suffer terribly and can't get away from it.

Message 6 of 28
Latest reply

Yes it would be terrible to live there.

Re the botulism I mean to put that in quotes .....Neither do I think for one minute that's what happened to the

poor boy,  beaten insensible is more like it. 

Message 7 of 28
Latest reply

Totally agree with you Brights.

Message 8 of 28
Latest reply

With all due sympathy for the poor guy...

"Otto Warmbier" sure is a funny name for a US student. Sounds German. Amish, maybe?

Message 9 of 28
Latest reply

@icyfroth wrote:

With all due sympathy for the poor guy...

"Otto Warmbier" sure is a funny name for a US student. Sounds German. Amish, maybe?

Really?      Try a trip to one of our own Uni's and check out the names.

His parents are Fred and Cindy from Cincinnati

http://heavy.com/news/2017/06/fred-warmbier-cindy-otto-parents-father-mother-obama-trump-photos-vide...

Message 10 of 28
Latest reply