OFFICIAL GOVERNMENT - DO NOT KNOCK STICKER - FINES IMPOSED TO OFFENDERS

Dear Friends,

The court has found 2 companies guilty of IGNORING an official DO NOT KNOCK sticker and $1,000,000 fines issued.

If YOU are tired of DOOR-TO-DOOR sales people and you want to make them PAY then get a free sticker.

LINK FOR STICKER

PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD - FINALLY WE CAN STOP THESE NUISANCES!

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

I have one....seems to be working. Now if it stops the trick or treaters it will be even better lol

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

$1mil? Really? When and where?

Creator of the Most Awesome Thread Topic EVER

Court imposes $1m penalty for doorknockers who harass householders

Karen Collier

News Limited Network September 28, 2012

" Consumers had complained about doorknockers working across Melbourne and regional Victoria refusing to respect Do Not Knock stickers and refusing to leave homes when asked.

THE nation's consumer watchdog has claimed its first scalp against dodgy doorknockers working for a power company, securing a $1 million penalty.
Serial pests ignoring Do Not Knock signs and harassing householders were found to have breached laws against unsolicited marketing.
The Federal Court has imposed a combined $1 million penalty by consent against energy retailer Neighbourhood Energy and marketing company Australian Green Credits.

the real story is in the last paragraph, though

The court also declared that Neighbourhood Energy and Australian Green Credits engaged in misleading and deceptive conduct.
Salespeople representing Neighbourhood Energy made misleading and deceptive statements to consumers, including that the salesperson was not there to sell anything, and that the consumer had been ‘zoned incorrectly’ and was being wrongly billed by their supplier.

http://www.news.com.au/national/courth-imposes-1m-penalty-for-doorkonckers-who-harass-householders/s...

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

Thanks eloi

Creator of the Most Awesome Thread Topic EVER

bunny0410
Community Member

Shame it doesn't extend to Religious callers.

I really dont want to be rude, but they are a constant Saturday headache.

I feel so bad, they bring their kiddies, all dressed in shabby church clothes.

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

A quick spot of research indicates that this 4 month old story might just be exaggerating, perhaps for a receptive audience, in that from what I have found, the penalty imposed was mainly because (as NAE has indicated above) :-

"The court found the companies had engaged in multiple breaches of the Australian Consumer Law while touting for business in Cranbourne, Geelong and Wangaratta, and that "Salespeople representing Neighbourhood Energy made misleading and deceptive statements to consumers, including that the salesperson was not there to sell anything, and that the consumer had been ‘zoned incorrectly’ and was being wrongly billed by their supplier."

Listed here, are the official ACCC rules for door-knocking salespeople
http://www.accc.gov.au/content/index.phtml/tag/doortodoor/

If one goes to the ACCC site you will find that their official door sticker download reads:  " "DO NOT KNOCK Unsolicited door to door selling is not welcome here"

Which raises an interesting point, because part of  the reported findings, included "...... that the Neighbourhood Energy salesperson was not there to sell anything......". So it thus follows that any DO NOT KNOCK sign would be irrelevant where no direct sale is intended.

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

I saw one on my friends door, and thought it was just because her dog barks when people knock haha.. I thought she was asking everyone not to knock

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means
Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

I have one too, but it doesn't stop the religious nuts or charity callers.

Photobucket
Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

That the Neighbourhood Energy salesperson was not there to sell anything......". So it thus follows that any DO NOT KNOCK sign would be irrelevant where no direct sale is intended.

It should count for energy sales people.. While they're not trying to sell you something physical, they are trying to convince you to changing energy providers.. They can get quite pushy even after you tell them that you are happy with your provider.. 

Still counts as door to door selling IMO Otherwise why would they be called a salesperson? 

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means
Message 10 of 12
Latest reply