Outdoor living/entertaining

I was just reading, yet another, article about the importance these days of an outdoor living/entertainment area in our homes and was struck by the fact that I don't remember such spaces from when I was a child.
We never ate outside unless we were at the beach or on a picnic. As teenagers we may have laid on the grass on our towels but there was no designated area for outside leisure.
When did this all change, or has it always been the same in Australia and I missed out because I didn't grow up here?
Message 1 of 33
Latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

we have flies and mozzies but we haven't seen sparrows in the garden for years, I only see them when I'm sitting outdoors at cafes these days.

I love eating outdoors, in fact I love being outdoors all the time, well, weather permitting

Dad made one of those besser brick barbies when we were kids, but that's long gone and now he uses a weber type thing

Message 31 of 33
Latest reply

As a child we often had outdoor eating and BBQ, also have a big entertaining area outside here but I prefer indoors away from the mozzies.

Message 32 of 33
Latest reply

You are right - there was no specific 'entertainering area' outside.

But I can recall big family get togethers outside. Christmas was always an outside thing for us. We would drag the kitchen and the dining tables together (even though they were different heights. And the kids would eat at picnic tables.

I don't know if it makes a difference - we are Italian so the get togethers were big and we had no choice but to move outside where there was space.

I can't recall any neighbours or friends ever eating outside until early 80s.

Message 33 of 33
Latest reply