Outdoor living/entertaining

I was just reading, yet another, article about the importance these days of an outdoor living/entertainment area in our homes and was struck by the fact that I don't remember such spaces from when I was a child.
We never ate outside unless we were at the beach or on a picnic. As teenagers we may have laid on the grass on our towels but there was no designated area for outside leisure.
When did this all change, or has it always been the same in Australia and I missed out because I didn't grow up here?
Message 1 of 33
Latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

And WA has a pretty goid eradication policy.

They shoot, trap etc thousands of birds every year. Sparrows, starlings, myna's et .

Or did in the past.

Message 21 of 33
Latest reply

Ahhhh....them were the days.  

If it didn't stop bleeding, rip a bit of sheeting to bandage it, splitting the end to tie a knot.  Not even into a bow.  Oh, forgot the mercurichrome (sp?)  red stuff that stained.

And told to look where I was going next time.  

DEB

Message 22 of 33
Latest reply

Awwwwwww,     I'm getting all nostalgic for the 50's backyard now, Deb.

No mecurichrome in our house- no money for such fancy stuff.

Sometimes mum's spit was all that was needed.   Hahahaha

Message 23 of 33
Latest reply

Used to be that we cooked and ate inside, and the toilet was outside.

Then, big change, we cook and eat outside, and the toilet came inside. 

I never can accept that in some houses, the toilet is inches away from the bed. 

It has long been known that architects have silent wives, but sleeping and toilets do not go together IMO.

Message 24 of 33
Latest reply

I'm so with you on that one polks.. We are about to start a bedroom and ensuite extension. I had to fight tooth and nail to have the ensuite door put around the corner away from the bed. I won ๐Ÿ™‚
Message 25 of 33
Latest reply

I babysat at a (posh) house once which had a large dressing room between the bedroom and the large ensuite.  That would be the only way to go for me. 

Message 26 of 33
Latest reply

When there was an "outhouse" there was often a commode/bottle/ potty in the bedroom.

Bit of progress in comfort since then.

Lurks, wise move in sorting it out now.

DEB

Message 27 of 33
Latest reply

Not sure.

My OH seems to be standing before he even wakes up. I hate the idea of him wandering around the house, closer the better I think.

I always say, what are you doing, just to jar him awake. Sometimes he says he's going to fight the dragons or that he has to fix the train. It's never dull, he must have great dreams.

Message 28 of 33
Latest reply

Not to you TTTT

Smiley MadNo darling.......that is the wardrobe door.

DEB

Message 29 of 33
Latest reply

Thanks Deb. Now I get it. Bit slow on the uptake.

Sums it up, perfectly and with far fewer words Smiley LOL

Message 30 of 33
Latest reply