Pets advertised on facebook

gleee58
Community Member

I got lucky and adopted a cat from a family that were moving.

She is fully grown, desexed, vaccinated and came home with half a car full of accessories.

The owners had adopted her when their landlord was going to shoot her as she was a stray kitten.  

She hid for the first few days. Got into the wall cavity behind the laundry and flatly refused any contact with me.  One day I was late home and on my arrival she suddenly decided I must be OK after all and sat on me as soon as I sat down.  Now she does it every day.  

I often see pets on facebook as their owners are moving or because their owners don't have adequate space or time for their needs and invariably it turns into a **bleep**e fight.  If someone can't look after their pets it beats them getting dumped or just left behind when the family moves.  

On the other hand their seems to be a lot of people who allow their cats to breed then hope to give away the unwanted kittens.  There also seems to be a lot of people who want an outdoors cat, which to me defeats the purpose of getting a cat.

I have also noticed a lot of bull terrier type of dogs, which don't seem to be the most appropriate thing to advertise for sale on facebook.

Overall, I'm a bit conflicted over pets on facebook.  It's great for people who need to put their pet up for adoption but not so good when it's used for the unwanted kittens of cats that should have been desexed  and dogs that are bred for the sake of breeding.

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Pets advertised on facebook

gown1.jpg

Message 11 of 18
Latest reply

She's lovely Glee.  One for the photo challenge?

haha, hadn't thought about that.

Message 12 of 18
Latest reply

Stuff it.  I don't know what I've done to squish that in the post  ๐Ÿ˜„

Message 13 of 18
Latest reply

Lol. Spooky squishing.
I find fb posts for rehoming pets a bit sad but those type of dogs especially. You never know what some people will do with them.
I am torn between anger at the owner and their lousy choices and happy that a new owner might be the better choice.
When my rescue dog heads over the rainbow bridge I will not be replacing him.
Message 14 of 18
Latest reply

Poor cat did get a bit squished didn't he ..... Woman LOL ... what a gorgeous cat he is though Glee.  Reminds me of a black and white cat who adopted us when we were first married.  We called him 'Norman'.  He was the most affectionate and mischevious wee beastie.   He was our (but not really ours) one and only 'outside' cat because he seemed to belong to the whole neighborhood.   Everyone in the street fed him and helped look after him, but he mostly stayed with us, especially at night.

One day, he just disappeared and nobody ever saw him again ... ๐Ÿ˜ž ... but what a lovely experience it was to have shared that part of his life.

This was Norman .... the one and only photograph!

norman1.jpg

Message 15 of 18
Latest reply

That's a very handsome Norman.

My cat seems to have an obsession with water.  When it hears the toilet flush it stands next to it with paws on side and watches the water and when I have the bath on it stands or sits on the side.

Message 16 of 18
Latest reply

He/she wants to do this.

index.jpeg

Message 17 of 18
Latest reply

@polksaladallie wrote:

He/she wants to do this.

index.jpeg

hahaha, I am tempted to test her out with that method.  She uses the litter tray then nages until it's cleaned.

Message 18 of 18
Latest reply