Preparing for the impending death of a beloved pet

Last Mon my gorgeous GSD Charlotte was diagnosed with an incurable disease, she may have a few weeks perhaps a few months before I will need to make the heart breaking decision to have her pts,  will depend on quickly the disease progresses.

I know there are many dog lovers on CS, so I was wondering how others faced with this type of situation, have dealt with it?   To say I am heartbroken, would be an understatement and I admit I am not dealing with it very well atm

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Hugs xxx

Message 11 of 20
Latest reply

bear1.jpg

For you Bushie xx

Message 12 of 20
Latest reply

I had to consult Dr Google on that one Bushies.  How horrible for both of you.

Thinking about it I seemed to remember that one of my daughter's GS guard dogs had had something that sounded similar so I gave her a ring.  She was just on the way out but did confirm that one of her female dogs was diagnosed with it about 15 years ago.  It was progressing fairly quickly so she did not muck around.  She did baulk at doing it herself so she asked the vet to put her down.  As she said, as a guard dog it was not the sort of animal that you could get close to to treat/help it...and she did have a baby and toddler at the time.

She did say that there are some great sites on the internet for research and you can get some ideas for ways to help Charlotte.  She mentioned water therapy (maybe a bit cold for that at the moment) and a harness to support the hindquarters.  She also said to check the hind feet regularly for signs of dragging on the ground....there are booties to protect the feet apparently.

Message 13 of 20
Latest reply

Thanks for the info Lyndal    ..... I have heard of the disease as it seems to affect a number of gsds  ..... I am keeping an eye on her feet so far so good but I know that may change. Atm she is getting around ok she has trouble getting up from a lying postion and tends to "sway" her hind quarters quite a bit when she walks.  It is a wait and see atm

Message 14 of 20
Latest reply

Bushie, I know from some of your previous posts that your GS is very special to you. It is very difficult when we know our pets are only here for a short time. Take care.

My best kelpie sheep dog has a heart murmur. One hot day last summer he was following me across the farmyard when two of his legs just gave out. He staggered for a few steps, nearly collapsed and then just kept following me as if nothing had happened. A few days later in a heat wave, I was wetting him down regularly and keeping him cool, but he was almost comatose and unresponsive. As evening came he brightened up and again appeared fine.

I,m not looking forward to the coming summer as I doubt very much that he will make it through. Its going to be tough, as he has been a real champion of a sheep dog and a great mate.

Message 15 of 20
Latest reply

Thanks Chameleon   .....  Charlotte and I do have a very special bond  

Can you use a cool coat on your boy? Would prob help him on the hotter days

There were six 5 week old kelpie pups at the vets on Mon gorgeous little babies  ..... It was lovely to watch my 12 yr old gsd male interacting with them. They kept running up to him wanting to play he was so gentle with them his tail never stopped wagging

Message 16 of 20
Latest reply

Bushie thinking ov you a very tough time for you.

Message 17 of 20
Latest reply

so sorry Bushies... it's hard

Message 18 of 20
Latest reply

My heart bleeds for you. There is no easy way to deal with the slow demise of a much loved pet; Elderly or not. I think the best thing I ever heard from my vet was "The best & kindest thing you can do for your friend is know when it's time to say Goodbye!" (This was in reference to an 18yo cat I'd known nearly all my life who had inoperable stomach cancer) It was hard to say goodbye nonetheless. I was 21 back then & had to make the decision.

We lost our cat Jack 2 months short of his 21st Birthday in 2015. I can recommend a company called "Pets In Heaven" for Melbourne people. Kind; Caring; & a range of funerary urns to suit most @ a reasonable price. I think they may be in other states.

My nearly 19yo cat Salem is blind in one eye & deaf as a post; But vet says he's still well. I've a 15yo drake as a pet; blind in one eye also; but still going strong. My thing is that you love them all the more as they get older & need more help - pity is that people aren't treatred with the same dignity. Do please be there for her@ the end - No matter how much it hurts!

Message 19 of 20
Latest reply

legarlu
Community Member

I really feel for you.  All you can do is just be there and love more and cherish, take pics.  You will know when it's time.

ATM I've got 2 17 year old ginger kitties twins. Both went blind within 2 months of each other.  Thought it was time for 1 of them 2 months ago,.  The vet gave him a cortisone injection and he's using one of his lives and has improved.  Loved him and cuddled him during this time.  The brother also a few weeks ago then suffered a stroke.  Vet gave him a cortisone injection also and he's still with us. Knowing they are not going to be here for much longer gives me a chance to love them even more. 

Message 20 of 20
Latest reply