Snake question

I need to cut some very long grass and we seem to be a haven for snakes.
As it has been heavily raining here for the past few days, does anyone know if it is safer to wait until the grass is dry before cutting it.
Message 1 of 35
Latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Snake question

Am in a similar situation to yourself.

Snakes with a couple of exceptions loathe noise so would be getting out the brush cutter and starting that up first, we too have the snake catcher on speed dial.  Had an eastern brown drown in the pool recently

Message 21 of 35
Latest reply

Snake question

Hi Jean-had a quick read --bit suss about wearing gumboots or waders as protection.

Would be better than wearing thongs -but as handy as a rubber shovel

with a large tiger snake.

Most snakes the venom runs down the out side of the fangs-so any leg covering may help.

I believe the tiger snake has hollow fangs and its like an injection.

No doubt some one will surf the net and prove me wrong....................Richo.

Message 22 of 35
Latest reply

Snake question

Snakes can be found in long grass but it actually slows them down. Couple of years ago was cutting my long grass with a metal blade on my brushcutter and unknown to me at the time I also cut up a big tiger snake. Only saw it a couple of days later. So I'd recommend a Honda brushcutter with a metal blade
Message 23 of 35
Latest reply

Snake question

never mind about cutting the grass:

NSW woman finds carpet python making itself at home on her couch

A NSW woman has been shocked to find six pythons invading her home as they tried escaped from a heavy downpour of rain recently.

Vivienne Le Cerf, a doctor on the NSW north coast, said the sight

In a video uploaded online on Australia Day, one of the larger serpents can be seen making itself at home on her couch, stretching its jaw wide open as selfishly claims both seats.

Entire Article Here

Message 24 of 35
Latest reply

Snake question

Icy. Pythons are the boys we get here. One lived under the house for months and cleaned all of the mice out. He used to come out to sun himself. We were ok with him, but as we live in a semi the neighbour saw him and got really upset. So he had to go back to the bush.
Message 25 of 35
Latest reply

Snake question

And don't forget Jean that snakes are generally a protected species, so you be nice to any that you find ๐Ÿ™‚

But seriously, I agree with some of the previous posters - the vibrations of brushcutter/lawnmower will more than likely scare the little fellas away before you get to them.  They are more scared of you than you of them ...

prostate cancer ribbon Pictures, Images and Photos
Message 26 of 35
Latest reply

Snake question

@jean2579 wrote:

@gleee58 wrote:

How much truth is in the rumour that long grass in backyards (in urban areas) attracts snakes?

Glee, we are in the mid north coast of NSW and back onto a National Park.

My Sydney friends and rellies get quite a kick out of seeing the local snake catcher on my speed dial. Woman LOL

Backing onto a national park I would expect snakes but I'm talking suburbia where most of the grass is short in the surrounding areas.  A sanke would have to go past houses and cross streets to get there.  

It just sounds rather amusing that a snake would find the one patch of long grass in town when he could have stayed in his nice warm paddock out of town.

Message 27 of 35
Latest reply

Snake question

snake1.gif

Message 28 of 35
Latest reply

Snake question

I would like to tell you there is a magic bullet , but unfortunately there isn't it's going to be a hard struggle, but it doesn't have to be a limitation you ca still succeed he will just have work harder than everyone else , dyslexia_speld have lots of good resources not sure what's available in Tassie, but I know schools here in wa have programs in place to help teachers deal with the problem, school is a catch 22 as it puts pressure on to succeed which in doing so causes the brain to shutdown, best advice I can give is get him under the best child psychiatrist. You can find the support there makes a big difference work closely with the school ,when I was diagnosed at 15 I was so bad that I was put through a course they put brain damaged kids through to get their motor skills working, but I'm not sure if that program exists anymore, if thou come up with any questions just yell

Photobucket
Message 29 of 35
Latest reply

Snake question

@kilroy_is_here wrote:

I would like to tell you there is a magic bullet , but unfortunately there isn't it's going to be a hard struggle, but it doesn't have to be a limitation you ca still succeed he will just have work harder than everyone else , dyslexia_speld have lots of good resources not sure what's available in Tassie, but I know schools here in wa have programs in place to help teachers deal with the problem, school is a catch 22 as it puts pressure on to succeed which in doing so causes the brain to shutdown, best advice I can give is get him under the best child psychiatrist. You can find the support there makes a big difference work closely with the school ,when I was diagnosed at 15 I was so bad that I was put through a course they put brain damaged kids through to get their motor skills working, but I'm not sure if that program exists anymore, if thou come up with any questions just yell

I must have missed something - who is dyslexic the person mowing the grass or the snake?

Message 30 of 35
Latest reply