Stressed and very upset at the moment

I have been living in a unit with my 17 yr old daughter for 9 months ,and 3 months agi had her boyfriend move in ( he is so so quiet that i even have trouble hearing at times when he talks ) when I looked at the unit I was told it can be very noisy due to the kids and I said im fine with that as I have grandkids and has been really great till just recently.
One one side I had neighbours with a new born baby and a 3 old the childrens bedroom right next to my daughters and on the other side a single mum with a 4 and 5 yr olds .
The couple with the 2 youngest kids moved to Sydney about 8 weeks ago and I got a new lady id say early to mid 60's in .
We spoke when she first moved in and I told her im hearing impaired with a moderate to servere hearing loss , that we don't get phone reception inside so have to go outside to make or answer calls .
We also had a discussion about what bedroom she was going to use she was saying she didnt know whether to use the front one or the back one, I said well Jess my daughter has the front one which is adjoining to ger front one and I also stated that being at the front that is the main entry way for my unit and the back unit and its where visitors come in so people will be walking past . She chose the front one .
She came to me a couple of weeks ago complaining of my daughters tv being to loud and when she has a friend over they are to loud , she will accept noise up till 10pm and told me that maybe my daughter and I should swap rooms .
Last weekend one of my nieces come for the weekend as she just found out an aunty on her fathers side has cancer and wanted to get away , she was supposed to ring her mum 8n the Saturday night and forgot so her mum rang her at 10pm and she had to go outside to take the call next the the lady next door comes barging out her front door having ago at me niece telling her how rude she was being on the phone outside her bedroom and to get off the phone and go back inside . Her mum could hear this and said img what is her problem . 2 nights later she was bashing on my front door then my daughters window telling her to turn the TV down .
On Friday i got an email from the real estate about noise complaints and if its not rectified i will get a breach and if it continues i will be asked to leave .
Im very upset in 35 yrs of renting i have never had one complaint against me ever and nor was then any from the previous tennants .
My daughter is loud always has been having grown up in a hearing impaired family and not only her but everyone talks a lot louder because of this but to us its normal ๐Ÿ˜ฉ
I tell my daughter to please lower her volume and she does really try but she just automatically goes back to normal .
I feel i will be asked to leave eventually because of this ๐Ÿ˜ข and all because of my deafness .

I have to go see Real Estate but no matter what is said i cant change the fact im deaf nor the fact my daughter speaks or laughs loud or that we have to have the TV up a bit louder which has been the normal way of life for ys .

Sorry for the long post i just needed to get this off my chest . Feeling very stressed and emotional.
Message 1 of 34
Latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Re: Stressed and very upset at the moment

One thing I've been thinking about...you seem to have a really loving family. Maybe she doesn't and so gripes about stuff that wouldn't matter so much if she had what you have.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 31 of 34
Latest reply

Aw thankyou Amber ๐Ÿ˜Š I wasnt overly happy about my daughter being pregnant but at the end of the day whats done is done and we just move forward from here my blessing from this pregnancy is knowing how much she loves babies and kids having growing up around so many and also having nieces and nephews .
I will do my best to solve this problem and have now put 2 new rules in place , no more watching TV in her room at night they will be in the lounge room and no more showers after 10 pm as the shower is also near the bedroom .

Message 32 of 34
Latest reply

I totally understand the talking loudly. I grew up with a deaf step father (result of a car accident) and everything was loud, including the TV. I could hear mum talking to him and also the TV blaring when we were playing in the yard or on the street. We lived in a house, at the end of the street and our floorboards were level with the top of the neighbours roof. Therefore, they would have been able to hear everything going on in the house, especially in Summer when all the windows were open.

Thankfully, all the people that went through that house never complained (it was owner occupied when we moved into our place which was rented, then they sold it and it became a rental). Maybe things were different back in the 70's.

I've been in my current house for 17 years. It's ours, not a rental. The neighbours on the north side, who have been there 3 years (they own it....or the bank does) have complained to us several times about my husband going to work at 4.30am and also me getting called out to work in the middle of the night (and getting home a few hours later). I work shift work and am conscious of noise when I get home from work late and also if I get called back out. Before I even pull into my driveway, I turn my headlights off. My driveway is slightly sloping and as soon as I get to the top, I turn the engine off and roll down to where I park. There is a street light across the road, so I am able to see OK.

If I get called back out, there's not much I can do about having to start the car. I don't turn my lights on until I'm out of the driveway. Their bedroom is next to our driveway, so we both take extra care at the times we have to start the cars. My husband does the same. He starts the car, no lights on and is out the driveway in less than 20 seconds. He then sits on the side of the road and waits for the frost to melt off the windscreen if it's winter.

Why I consider their complaints unjustified. They have a dog. A very bored dog. I dog that barks incessantly. It barks at birds in the tree. It barks at leaves falling off the tree. It barks at the fallen leaves blowing across the grass. It barks at clouds (serious!). it barks when anyone walks past. It barks at cats. It barks at trucks. Hates trucks with a passion.....garbage day is a real hoot! It barks for the sake of barking. They NEVER EVER tell it to stop. Never. It can bark its head off half the night, keeping us awake, and they have the hide to complain about us going to work before the sun comes up? Or me getting home late from work?

Now the last few months, their previously delightful almost 3yo has learned how to squeal. All he does is squeal. A really high pitched squeal. They laugh at him when he does it, which of course, encourages him even more. Thankfully he sleeps of a night!

We now have an agreement. They shut up about my comings and goings in the middle of the night and I won't report their dog to council. I heard on the grapevine that they are talking about selling soon. The new people that move in will be told from the get go. I work shift work. I sometimes work well past my knock off time of 11pm. Sometimes I get called out in the middle of the night. My husband goes to work at 4.30am. This is what we do to minimise the impact on neighbours. If you have an issue with it, get over it.

I know it doesn't really help you with your problem. Mostly just letting you know you're not alone!

As for your daughter naturally talking loud, once she moves out of home for awhile, she will tone it down a bit. It took me a little while, but I talk at a normal level now. My step father died 30 years ago and mum's been with her current partner for 28 years. He's now got age related deafness and instead of talking loud naturally, I have to make a conscious effort to do so. Going to her place now is just like when we were growing up. Loud phone calls, loud TV, loud talking.

Good luck with it all. I'm sure it will all work out for you one way or another.

Message 33 of 34
Latest reply

It is so hard having neighbors in such close vicinity. Bring very close to my neighbors we had major noise issues when we first moved here. I understand that there's only so much confrontation that one can initiate, but, I mean sure notify the re etc but my advice to you fwiw even though she sounds like a bit of an intolerant cow... bake her a cake or some cookies or scones, old ladies love scones lol and knock on her door and offer a peace treaty of some kind. Explain to her your position and that you are trying to figure out strategies to lower the noise your family emanates, and be honest with her, let her know it's really stressing you out, you don't want to be enemies with your neighbor, but at the same time it's unreasonable for her to expect your family to be silent 24/7 too.

You really do sound like a considerate person you've set down some rules for the kids ( congrats to you for that, and your daughter, no one has the right to judge your family, I'm impressed that she has decided to keep the baby, so many young people choose other options these days. With your support though she probably felt secure.) Sorry I know, I'm making assumptions but like so many people here, and everywhere I guess, we understand how much it sux bring at odds with neighbors. Not that it's ever really happened to me before living at this address but since it did happen here I totally understand your dilemma. All the best ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
Message 34 of 34
Latest reply