Telstra tech. scam.

Just had a phone call purporting to be Telstra technical services saying I had a problem with my internet connection.

'Foreign' voice of course. I wasn't on the laptop at the time, so I told him I would connect and he could ring me back.  He did ring back and when I told him there was nothing wrong with the connection he hung up. Apparently this is a scam similar to the microsoft one that has been around for ages. 

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Telstra tech. scam.

@katymatey* wrote:

Just had a phone call purporting to be Telstra technical services saying I had a problem with my internet connection.

'Foreign' voice of course. I wasn't on the laptop at the time, so I told him I would connect and he could ring me back.  He did ring back and when I told him there was nothing wrong with the connection he hung up. Apparently this is a scam similar to the microsoft one that has been around for ages. 

My son loves to play with this type of telemarkers.  The first question he asks is what computer are you talking about and then prattles of about the number and type of computers and tablets they have in the house.  In the end they hang up on him.

Message 2 of 23
Latest reply

Telstra tech. scam.

Yes, it is another similar scam to the Microsoft one.

Scammers pretending to be from Telstra Technical Support continue cold-calling Australians

http://www.scamwatch.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/1134129

Message 3 of 23
Latest reply

Telstra tech. scam.

Are you on the do not call register?
Message 4 of 23
Latest reply

Telstra tech. scam.

@grandmoon wrote:

@katymatey* wrote:

My son loves to play with this type of telemarkers.  The first question he asks is what computer are you talking about and then prattles of about the number and type of computers and tablets they have in the house.  In the end they hang up on him.

I love chatting to em too gmoon, I natter about all sorts of unrelated topics and then out of the blue yell at the Non existent Dog and hang up. They called you remember, not you called them.  🙂 

Message 5 of 23
Latest reply

Telstra tech. scam.

It doesn't matter if you are on the do not call register because scammers ignore it 😄

If it really was Telstra then they can call you if you are a customer anyway, unless you tell them that you don't want their calls. Then the register rules apply to them too... apparently.

Joono
Message 6 of 23
Latest reply

Telstra tech. scam.

Hi Katy ...Grandmoon--even the real calls from smelstra are a pain.

Have a $20.00 per month mobile pnone -gets used to take calls and make a few.

--Dont send or read messages.

Every few months i get the call-just checking if you are happy with the service

and cah we offer anything else.

Yep- please stop sending me messages-i need someone techno savvy

to read them for me.

Now problem -will fix that now.---last messages were-Merry Xmas -then happy new year

from smelstra--this has been going on for years .lol.......................................Richo.

Message 7 of 23
Latest reply

Telstra tech. scam.

Last time I said to the caller, So there is a problem with my computer? and they replied YES, turn it off now.

I answered, "Well that's amazing, because we don't have a computer". (kinda true, only laptops):smileyvery-happy:

Telemarketer said, sorry sorry and hung up. Never had those types again.

image host
Message 8 of 23
Latest reply

Telstra tech. scam.

@bushies.girl wrote:
Are you on the do not call register?

Hi Bushie.

The do not call register does not cover this kind of call.

Been on it for years & still get the calls.

Because these are usually asian calls they do it through Skype so Telstra or whoever do not pick it up.

I usually ask them to hold on.

Leave for a while - go back - tell them I am still working on it.

Leave again - on arrival back they are usually gone - slow but get the message.

Message 9 of 23
Latest reply

Telstra tech. scam.

They are such dropkicks. Although some must get taken in, or the scammers wouldn't bother. 😞

Message 10 of 23
Latest reply