The 116 things that can give you cancer – the full list

johcaschro
Community Member

# 34 Chinese-style salted fish: Diets that are very high in salt-cured meats and fish, or pickled foods – which are more common in parts of Asia and northern Africa – can increase the risk of nasopharyngeal cancer, related to the upper part of the throat behind the nose. These foods can be very high in nitrates and nitrites, which react with protein to form nitrosamines. These chemicals can damageDNA.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/oct/28/116-things-that-can-give-you-cancer-list

Oh b um. and I have one and a half jars of "Crispy Anchovy with Wasabi" (product of China) left. What to do?

Throw it away or continue to eat it knowing that it may be packed with nitrosamines and doing me harm?

It's a poor show when even the food you buy in the shops could damage your health.

Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: The 116 things that can give you cancer – the full list

The list is enough to drive us to drink, however :

#22 Alcoholic beverages: Alcoholic beverage consumption is a cause of breast, colorectal, larynx, liver, oesophagus, oral cavity and pharynx cancers, and as a probable cause of pancreatic cancer,

Message 11 of 24
Latest reply

@debra9275 wrote:

look it up and you'll find out

Thanks...not

Message 12 of 24
Latest reply

We've just had this edict rammed down our throats on both the BBC and ITV news bulletins, by the WHO. (Not the band, the other lot).

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/processed-meats-classified-carcinogens-world-health-or...

Who are these people ? Who pays them ?  IMO, they should all be put out to grass.

Message 13 of 24
Latest reply

Who pays them?  Maybe the fish or chicken industries recently.    

Prior to that when concern was about the ill-treatment of chooks, it was the beef industry?

DEB

Message 14 of 24
Latest reply

What kills you today will be good for you tomorrow.

I'm sure that somewhere another 'expert' will come out with evidence that all these food products are completely safe and are required for your body to function correctly.

Message 15 of 24
Latest reply

just a while back they said that any fat that was solid at it normal temperature was the worst kind

now the new fad is coconut fat people are paying a high price for it and eating it by the spoonfull Woman Surprised

they said it killed you not long ago !!!!

Message 16 of 24
Latest reply

Untitled-1.jpg

Message 17 of 24
Latest reply

Blind Freddie can see that meat in general - in any form - is not good for you or the environment, and certainly not good for the animals.  The amount of land required to both graze livestock and grow the food for the livestock is not sustainable at the current rate of consumption and growth.

I believe in (and practice) a plant-based food regime - it provides enough nutrients and variety to satisfy anyone.  And no-one dies in the process.   Better health outcomes, cheaper living, less impact on the planet to name just a few benefits.

I also agree with a previous poster about sugar - the insidious addition of sugar to just about every processed food is contributing to a catastrophic issue in a few years (if not now) with diabetes, obesity etc.

As for roundup (I refuse to give it the privilege of a capital letter) - disgraceful stuff.  Should have been banned long ago.  Australia consumes megalitres of the stuff.

prostate cancer ribbon Pictures, Images and Photos
Message 18 of 24
Latest reply

At present we have Jamie Oliver on another ego trip denigrating sugar, and advocating more tax on sugary drinks. *groan*  His media profile must be slipping, so he's jumped on another bandwagon.. *double groan*

I choose my own menus, and not what some Mary Poppins nanny says I should eat.

Message 19 of 24
Latest reply

A healthy diet is a silly idea. I don't want to be healthy when I die. I don't want people standing at my coffin saying "But, he was so healthy!" I want them saying "How the &^%% did he last so long?!?!?"

And I want them weeping and moaning "He owed me money!" And I want a coffin with a crank that plays Pop Goes the Weasel when it's turned.

Message 20 of 24
Latest reply