The Dangers Facing Australia's Prosperity

silverfaun
Community Member

A big article but intensely interesting at this time for Australia and all Australians and the coming budget.

The cuts that are desperately needed for your future prosperity if we don't want to have 48% of the workforce on welfare or directly employed by the government which is  what the coming budget is trying to tell us but the complete lack of imagination from Shorten, the Greens and Palmer should scare us all.

We cannot afford a massive service industry paid for by the taxpayers, the Gonski and NDIS and the child care wage raises under Rudd and Gillard is just a fraction of the huge amount of money we don't have and are not likely to have in the near future.

The PPL should be scrapped altogether or  blocked in the Senate, the baby bonus should also be scrapped:

In all our history, the thing that has set Australia apart from its region is its European identity. Now, our European political culture may have grown so profligate and internally contradictory that we may be all but unable to implement social policies we can pay for.

Geoffrey Blainey need never have worried about the Asianisation of Australia. Malcolm Fraser and the Greens can forget their concerns about Americanisation.

Instead, our political culture, and our looming economic dilemma, has become European.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/policy/the-dangers-of-becoming-a-little-europe-in-a...

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: The Dangers Facing Australia's Prosperity

I do not  'subscribe' for news.

If suggesting that we are headed towards a European economic disaster.....then this is a mite ridiculous IMO.

Just another propoganda swing fest leading up to the budget announcement.

Adversity makes men, and prosperity makes monsters!

I believe that the main dangers present that are threatening the prosperity prospects of Australians are unregulated banksters and incompetent political parties with damaging policies that are biased towards corporations and rent seekers.

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

Master of avuncularity, when met with a question that threatens to expose his ignorance or prejudices he smirks and feigns a patronising air. Give me an audience worthy of my sagacity, he implies.

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

the link for the hockey interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z78zSiZ2r0s

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

I think it's really reallly dangerous the way they have talked down the economy and tried to cause fear and lack of confidence amongst the population. It will ulitmately stop people from spending and that will bring disaster.

People are so angry with this govt already

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

@debra9275 wrote:

I think it's really reallly dangerous the way they have talked down the economy and tried to cause fear and lack of confidence amongst the population. It will ulitmately stop people from spending and that will bring disaster.

People are so angry with this govt already

yes, the danger facing our prosperity is this government.

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

Exactly Boris

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

Carl Icahn quote:"Some people get rich studying artificial intelligence. Me, I make my money studying natural stupidity."

W.C. Fields was more concise: "Never give a sucker an even break."

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

Has anyone else noticed that there seems to be a lack of compassion, empathy, or recognition of the human condition in the federal government.

Oh yes, they use the right words when talking about those in need, but there is no conviction behind them.

I see the usual suspects  with keys in their backs which are wound to respond  to any question by an auto  program.

The program is called Weasel Words.

One of the new sub-programs which is a favourite is called "Kiss the Baby and Pretend you Give a **bleep**e"

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

Stop Corporate Welfare.

Google and Fairfax playing a different tax game

Date May 9, 2014

'Fairfax paid $175 million in tax that year. Google paid zero. Last year, their revenues in Australia were roughly $2 billion apiece, but Google's total tax expense was only $466,802 while Fairfax, although reeling from a $275 million pre-tax loss, still paid $38 million in tax on top.

WHAT SHOULD GOOGLE BE PAYING IN AUSTRALIA?

Last week's story touched on Google Australia's latest tax ploys. Although Google spun its 2013 tax bill as 15 per cent of profits – or $7 million on a $46 million profit - the question should be asked, what do they classify as "profits"? The answer is whatever they deem to be the leftovers from their income which they arbitrarily decided to book in Australia.

*Total income tax expense was less than half a million dollars, which, in light of its billions in revenue, is equivalent to pocket fluff. They even had the cheek to help themselves to tax breaks from the government's R&D scheme.

*Under the new multinational business model, foreign controlled entities are little more than branches of one global entity. Corporations tax law (both locally and with other countries with whom we share tax treaties) should be updated to reflect the new reality of these changes.

It would fix the budget deficit in a jiffy (see full article for details). Though, when it comes to a potential incursion by the taxman at its revenue line, Google is already half a step ahead because the bulk of revenues it makes from its Australian operations are actually booked in Singapore.

Read in full: http://www.smh.com.au/business/comment-and-analysis/google-and-fairfax-playing-a-different-tax-game-...

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply