The Pope retires? ?:|

I wouldn't have thought it would be the kind of job you retired from - I thought those guys kept their jobs until their death? 

http://www.smh.com.au/world/pope-says-he-will-resign-on-february-28-20130211-2e95l.html

Message 1 of 51
Latest reply
50 REPLIES 50

Maybe he feels it's time to jump or be pushed, isn't it that the way it works in the Vatican.

Message 2 of 51
Latest reply

isn't it that the way it works in the Vatican.

No it isn't. That's why it is so odd. They usually DIE in the job.

Message 3 of 51
Latest reply

Oh he is creepy.

Message 4 of 51
Latest reply

Of course he's creepy crystal, he's the Pope. They are all creepy for some reason.

Although there was some jolly looking one a few decades back. He was all ruddy and happy like Santa.

Message 5 of 51
Latest reply

Might be unusual but good reason for doing so.

In order to govern the bark of Saint Peter and proclaim the Gospel, both strength of mind and body are necessary, strength which in the last few months, has deteriorated in me to the extent that I have had to recognise my incapacity to adequately fulfill the ministry entrusted to me," he said.

Message 6 of 51
Latest reply

so does anyone know when Conclave happens in this sort of situation?

Usually when a Pope dies the chamellenger (sp?) handles things for 15 days and the then Conclave begins.

So can they have Conclave earlier now cos he's not dead? Or do they have to wait out the 15 days...

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 7 of 51
Latest reply

Guess he thought it was better to retire than be murdered in his bed.

Message 8 of 51
Latest reply

mtnlane
Community Member

"We should have a new pope for Easter," Monsignor Lombardi said, saying a conclave could be held within 15 or 20 days of the resignation. The last pope to resign was Gregory XII, who stepped down in 1415 in a deal to end the Great Western Schism."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/pope-benedict-xvi-surrenders-too-old-too-frail-to-lead-a-billion-people/story-e6frg6so-1226575773305

Message 9 of 51
Latest reply

mtnlane
Community Member

The Camerlengo or Chamberlain oversees the preparations for the conclave, handles the administration of property, finances and other day to day business until the election of a new Pope.

Message 10 of 51
Latest reply