The bilby

The bilby is Australia's very own Easter bunny, but how much do you actually know about it?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2020-04-11/bilby-easter-quiz/12130280

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

The bilby

I got 3/9 right, less than the average person. Smiley Sad

But I did know that chocolate, lollies and peanut butter is not the food they eat. Smiley Very Happy

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

The bilby

@not_for_sale2024 wrote:

I got 3/9 right, less than the average person. Smiley Sad

But I did know that chocolate, lollies and peanut butter is not the food they eat. Smiley Very Happy

dont feel sad, i only got 3 too Cat Tongue

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

The bilby

I got 6/9 but did not realise they are opportunistic breeders 

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

The bilby

@eol-products wrote:

I got 6/9 but did not realise they are opportunistic breeders 

just like hoomans

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

The bilby

I got 4 - still below average.

Lots I didn't know.

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

The bilby

@davidc4430 wrote:

The bilby is Australia's very own Easter bunny, but how much do you actually know about it?

All very good, but the symbolism of the Easter Bunny is the fact that it can reproduce in phenomenal numbers agains all odds. Fertile.

Easter, being an ancient (European) celebration of fertility, this is where the rabbit comes in. It's very fertile. And the eggs, of course. Fertility is the key.

The Bilby, on the other hand, may be fertile enough in it's own environment, is no competition for the  introduced species.

Oh and.... the chocolate manufacturors, who have a vested interest in choclolate Easter bunnies and eggs (because it's a carryover from our European Ausssie forebears), will keep promoting it.

Big profits, you know.

Our new Aussie migrants won't mind, they'll keep up the tradition, but will have no idea why. They'll just think it's a celebration of chocolate.

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

The bilby

@icyfroth wrote:

@davidc4430 wrote:

All very good, but the symbolism of the Easter Bunny is the fact that it can reproduce in phenomenal numbers agains all odds. Fertile.

Easter, being an ancient (European) celebration of fertility, this is where the rabbit comes in. It's very fertile. And the eggs, of course. Fertility is the key.

The Bilby, on the other hand, may be fertile enough in it's own environment, is no competition for the  introduced species.

Oh and.... the chocolate manufacturors, who have a vested interest in choclolate Easter bunnies and eggs (because it's a carryover from our European Ausssie forebears), will keep promoting it.

Big profits, you know.

Our new Aussie migrants won't mind, they'll keep up the tradition, but will have no idea why. They'll just think it's a celebration of chocolate.

Did you actually do the quiz? It states bilbies breed "whenever they can". They are natural studs. I would imagine the females may be more fertile than rabbits. I say get into it bilby, throughout Easter if you choose.

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

The bilby

@icyfroth wrote:

@davidc4430 wrote:

Big profits, you know.

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

The bilby

What you also did not mention is that Easter actually began as a pagan festival celebrating spring in the Northern Hemisphere, long before the advent of Christianity. If you don't believe me then look at this:

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply