This Is What's Happening To the US Discussion Boards

12 REPLIES 12

I didn't even know they had a Soapbox forum - it is not there any more at any rate. (Edit: I found it.)

They don't even have a Community Spirit forum. Hopefully ours won't be deleted!

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

...yes, they've already swamped the boards inviting us to Private Groups....

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

I'm nearly willing to bet - given the [] - it is for these reasons.

But it's possible legal issues and the eroding protections offered to platforms by Section 230 - as well as the cost of moderating online discussions - could be contributing factors.

They get pretty heated over politics. lol

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

@domino-710 wrote:

They get pretty heated over politics. lol

They certainly do. 

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

EBay states:

"Community Spirit...
Show your community spirit! Talk with fellow members about non eBay related topics."

The only topic on page 1 of Community Spirit that relates to eBay is this one. As it stands, I would think the Moderators would move a thread if it directly related to an eBay issue! That's what they have been doing for years.
Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor
Community Spirit
Show your community spirit! Talk with fellow members about non eBay related topics.

•  Community Spirit

That's the heading.    How can anything be off topic on this board?

I fought long and hard for the right for Community Spirit to stay when they wanted to eradicate it a few years ago.

Most members were not even aware that the struggle to save it was even happening.

I hope that fight was not in vain.
Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

The difference between Community Spirit & the Soapbox - is simple.

The Box [] as it is referred to is nothing but fiery argument - some Dems & some Reps - by turning it into an invite only - it will be a pretty one sided argument. lol

Mind you they can't come up with anyone to begin the inviting.

There are some pretty long running threads - most enjoyable - they have nothing to do with politics & have been - begun - again in The Park.

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

I am not on Facebook, but somebody told me that administrators, when they look at profiles for admission to groups, deny admission and even block people of the opposite party if they state their party in public posts or pics (so Republicans block Democrats and vice versa), even if the groups themselves are not related to politics at all, so, yes, the private Soapbox might become pretty one-sided too.

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:
Community Spirit
Show your community spirit! Talk with fellow members about non eBay related topics.

•  Community Spirit

That's the heading.    How can anything be off topic on this board?

I fought long and hard for the right for Community Spirit to stay when they wanted to eradicate it a few years ago.

Most members were not even aware that the struggle to save it was even happening.

I hope that fight was not in vain.

there were others that also fought, but none as hard and fierce as you.  Thank you.

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply