This or that

Okay.

I'm assuming it is okay to post about the different names of everyday things. 

I couldn't remember what the Australians call a valance. It's a pelmet. I just learned that one last year. 

What else? 

Trunk-boot

cilantro-coriander

Pullover sweater- jumper? 

undershirt-vest? 

cookie-bikkie?

Do you call potato chips-crisps? 

We call rubber sandals-thongs in California. lol. Weirdly enough, we  call those string undies, thongs, too. It can get confusing. 

I once told a Scottish friend that she could borrow my thongs, if she wanted to go to the pool. She gave me a look of horror. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
no siggy
Message 1 of 238
Latest reply
237 REPLIES 237

This or that

Aha.. 

Dressing gown= Robe

no siggy
Message 111 of 238
Latest reply

This or that

@tcmsecretuseid wrote:

Band.. Guy Fawkes? LOL. That is a British holiday. 

I'll check out your guy, Richo. 

Why the LOL? Guy Fawkes Day was big down this way (Aust & NZ), not a public holiday but still celebrated. Communities would have bonfire night, firecrackers etc.

People bought firecrackers,rockets etc to let off at home. Due to safety (people getting injured by fire works) the sale of the fireworks to non-professionals was restricted, then stopped.

Message 112 of 238
Latest reply

This or that

Am- fireworks are illegal to use in most parts of California, because of the fire hazard. 

There are several great displays that we can go watch though. 

Some people pop over the border of Mexico to buy fireworks too. 

I just lol'ed because I knew about GF day in Britain. I had no idea it was celebrated in Oz too. That's all. Not a snarky LOL, just a... wow, I didn't know that... LOL. 

no siggy
Message 113 of 238
Latest reply

This or that

Another: do you call it a Pharmacy, or a Chemist? Is the person who dispenses meds a Pharmacist? 

no siggy
Message 114 of 238
Latest reply

This or that

Stoop  =  landing or steps?  Or landing and steps.

Message 115 of 238
Latest reply

This or that

@tcmsecretuseid wrote:

Another: do you call it a Pharmacy, or a Chemist? Is the person who dispenses meds a Pharmacist? 

both are common in au.

Message 116 of 238
Latest reply

This or that

@tcmsecretuseid wrote:

Am- fireworks are illegal to use in most parts of California, because of the fire hazard. 

There are several great displays that we can go watch though. 

Some people pop over the border of Mexico to buy fireworks too. 

I just lol'ed because I knew about GF day in Britain. I had no idea it was celebrated in Oz too. That's all. Not a snarky LOL, just a... wow, I didn't know that... LOL. 

Yeah, it iis/was a bit of a strange thing to celebrate down this end of the world.

Making a scarecrow/figure to throw on the top of a bonfire and burn is a bit off too, as far as impressionable children are concerned.

It was great fun though for childrent, the bonfire & fireworks.

Message 117 of 238
Latest reply

This or that

@tcmsecretuseid wrote:

Showbags, that's it. LOL. Too simple. 

Footy.. See, another Ie sound added to a shortened version of a word. 

Speakng of that, I saw some guys playing cricket in our local park the other day. I've never seen that in person. My husband was explaining the rules to me, as we watched. 

Do you have professional Baseball teams there? 

We have a few baseball teams but I don't think they're professional.

Message 118 of 238
Latest reply

This or that

@tcmsecretuseid wrote:

Rubber for eraser? LOL. We call condoms, rubbers. If you offered to loan me your used rubber, I'd run for the hills. 

We have erasers too.

Message 119 of 238
Latest reply

This or that

@tcmsecretuseid wrote:

I've never heard of tanti. 

One thing I've noticed (since I started posting here) is that the ozzies shorten many words and add the ie sound to the shortened word. 

Tanti

bikkie

barbie(maybe that one is just from the crocadile dundee guy) I did hear that the aussies don't actually put a shrimp on the barbie, but they do say, g'day mate. 

eskie

etc. 

I think I asked this a long time ago, do people in Perth have a different accent, and use different phrases, than people from Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide etc. Do they eat foods that are more common to their area? 

People in the U.S. have very different accents, depending on where they live. The Southern accent is very different from the west coast, or New York acccents. Grits, and collard greens are a southern dishs that I've never tried. 

Not only are Americans different from the Ozzies, we are different from the other U.S. States. 

does apply to australia too

although i'd have to think back.. and hard... what i noticed different about QLD'ers and NSW'ers, when i arrived here in perth some 40 yrs ago

off the top of ny head....................mobs - heaps. lol

Signatures suck.
Message 120 of 238
Latest reply