Thoughts for those in bush fire regions

Hi all,

With bush fires raging in 3 States - lives and homes at risk, just wanted to share - thoughts are with those who may be effected and so hope it is does not effect anyone here

A sad start to the New Year for many . . . . . . . .

Message 1 of 106
Latest reply
105 REPLIES 105

Re: Thoughts for those in bush fire regions

Gonna be 38 today and tomorrow here in Adelaide.

Bring on Thurs, Fri and Sat when we are supposed to get rain

photo walkingdeadtag_zpsbaca2fdd.jpg
Message 81 of 106
Latest reply

@punch*drunk wrote:

I think the kennels would have been damned if they did and damned if they didnt.

Yes, I think you've got that right.  

The only good that comes out of wild fires is that the rebuilds have to be more fire proof than the original buildings that burned.

Message 82 of 106
Latest reply

The only good that comes out of wild fires is that the rebuilds have to be more fire proof than the original buildings that burned.

Still won't save the houses if you build close to the bush and nothing is fire proof.

Message 83 of 106
Latest reply

@channys_mum wrote:

@mbselections00 wrote:

. . . . . . .

No offence taken mbs

I wasn't just thinking of the kennels, however it was to the fore.

Certainly not blame laying. I am genuinely wondering why people leave their animals trapped. I suppose it's a 50/50 chance whatever one chooses to do

Oh, thank goodness you didn't take offence, as none was intended and I had a feeling you were not trying to be antagonistic like others have been, because I don't think now is the time for that - maybe in a week or 2.

I wonder the same thing myself & I guess there could be several reasons - even down to if you can't take all the animals, how do you choose ? One's state of mind perhaps - I guess maybe you're not necessarily thinking clearly or logically ?  But I know my first thoughts would be for both my family and my pets safety & I would take my pets before personal belongings - if I could.  Well in all honesty, I would grab old photo albums & SD cards or whatever they are called as well.

But now I am thinking, my hubby breeds birds, has hundreds in big avairies, so no chance of taking them, but birds are different.  I guess in their case you would open the doors and let them fly away in the hope they escape both the fire and the wild birds.

I've only been evacuated once & to be honest, the only thought in my mind that I can recall was let me get the baby's formula, seems funny now to think about it, but I was told there was no time even for that - we had no warning - just told to get out now !

I do hope the mood stays a bit lighter on this thread - at least until the worst is over and my thoughts are still with those in the fire regions - I do hope today is a better day for them ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 84 of 106
Latest reply

@beautbots01 wrote:

FWIW It's my opinion and I am entitled to it.  Nothing policital there just science.

And for those who are interested there is now a storm front coming across the State from the north, which is moving over some of the fire affected area.  It carries with it lighting which would not help, but the rain however much it brings will be most welcome.

I'm still interested beaut - how are things going for you ?  Haven't heard from you in a while . . . . .

Hope all is well and that you are safe

Message 85 of 106
Latest reply

@aps1080 wrote:

Still won't save the houses if you build close to the bush and nothing is fire proof.

Where did I say the rebuilds were fire proof?

That's right. I did not say they were.  

Message 86 of 106
Latest reply

I've only been evacuated once & to be honest, the only thought in my mind that I can recall was let me get the baby's formula, seems funny now to think about it, but I was told there was no time even for that - we had no warning - just told to get out now !

I think the boarding kennel owners would have been slammed what ever they did. Imagine the outrage if they had let people's pets out to fend for themselves during a fire storm.  The scattering terrified animals would also have been a traffic hazard for the fire fighters.  As you said there is just not enough time sometimes to take care of everything before running at the last minute.

Message 87 of 106
Latest reply

Yep, I think punch put it in a nutshell & I agree - I think the kennels would have been damned if they did and damned if they didnt.

Very sad however you look at it Smiley Sad

Message 88 of 106
Latest reply

Screenshot_2015-01-06-13-50-37.png

Message 89 of 106
Latest reply

A good story of a neighbour saving a house but looking at the pictures, I think the fire couldn't have been that intense just there (trunks not burnt, tops / canopy still unburnt) BUT more importantly, the property doesn't look like it's been cleaned up - brush close to house ?

Message 90 of 106
Latest reply