Time to say goodbye to posties?

No it's not ok.

LMAO

View solution in original post

Message 30 of 71
Latest reply

@am*3 wrote:

Why offset the cost of letters though? Reduce/cut out the letter deliveries and the parcel profit is $128.4 million up. Resulting in less often increases in parcel rates, and/or lower increase in parcel rates.

Do other businesses keep arms of their business that loose that much money every year?

It's not just a business though. It's a public service and has been for life times.

The country is not a giant business that has to make a profit off every facet of the services it provides.

View solution in original post

Message 42 of 71
Latest reply
70 REPLIES 70

I read the article, I don't deny the govt wants to privatize our postal services but the views of the author are highly doubtful. Just yesterday I recieved a new years card from the DPRK, today a postcard from my brother. Whenever I visit the P.O, which is often there are lots of people there posting all sorts of things.

Message 2 of 71
Latest reply

nero_bolt
Community Member

Mail deliveries are falling at the rate of 4 to 5 per cent a year.

Twelve years ago Australia Post delivered an average of 2.2 local letters to each street address daily. It is now 1.7 and on track to fall to 1.3 by 2016, sliding further beyond that.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/comment/entering-the-postaustralia-post-era-20140114-30t12.html#ixzz2qQaiTMs2

Delivering mail used to make Australia Post money. It now costs it $150 million per year.

The loss is on track to blow out to $1 billion, and then perhaps $2 billion, far exceeding the profits from delivering parcels and making the entire organisation an albatross around the taxpayers' necks.

Message 3 of 71
Latest reply

How very unusual to see an ebayer promote the increase of postal rates. If you're a buyer or seller, how can that possibly be a good thing? Of course, if you do neither, it wouldn't matter, except it makes me curious about your presence here.
Message 4 of 71
Latest reply

Most of us can read the original link and don't need the hysterical repetition in huge font, thanks all the same.

Message 5 of 71
Latest reply

time to leave this thread, shame.

Message 6 of 71
Latest reply

@boris1gary wrote:

time to leave this thread, shame.

I think the shame is that some would have us shut down the mail service because it costs money.

What happened to the concept of public services? 

Most of the people that rely on and use the postal service have contributed to society and community all their lives and now the money hungry wish to deprive them of services.

Message 7 of 71
Latest reply

but if you're going to keep what I think I understood there you could replace the your with you're  😄

Message 8 of 71
Latest reply

ta for that.

If you think you understood what I just wrote, you're probably right.Woman Very Happy

Message 9 of 71
Latest reply

Yes it will be time in the near future to cut down on home mail delivery. If there are only a small amount of letters being posted why would a Postal Service continue to offer a full postal delivery service and employ the same number of posties???.

As for Post Office counter staff.. how many ebayers use click n send..where you buy your postage online and now an option to charge
postage to your ebay account and pay it monthly. This reduces the work load
and income of your local PO.

I did an online survey the other day about using a Post Office. The only things I go there for
was..to get a stamp for a letter going overseas
occasionally ( parcels buy postage costs online )and apply for a passport (once every 10 years).

I have a PO box and go into PO to collect our parcels.I have noticed the PO is not as busy as
it used to be including at Christmas.
Message 10 of 71
Latest reply