Total fire bans for parts of South Australia

Total fire bans as catastrophic fire conditions predicted for part of South Australia

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-28/catastrophic-fire-conditions-in-south-australia/10670818

lets hope nothing bad happens this time

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

I,m near the coast so it is nice and cool where I am, but I went out to our remote farm property a couple of days ago to check the stock water. Conditions where horrendous out there with temps. in the fourties and strong northerly winds. I stayed inside the air conditioned old farm house all day doing some housework and drove home in the late evening once the sting had gone from the air. I drove a couple of hundred KM. and hardly saw any other vehicles on the road at all. It seemed like the whole country was deserted.

I got a call from a neighbour this morning and it is still terrible out there with catastrophic fire conditions and temps in the mid fourties. He kindly offered to check my stock water again, so that helps put my mind at rest. We have multiple independent stock watering systems set up, so that if one goes down there is a back up and four or five days water supply in poly tanks at several watering points.

Fire is the big concern. Although we have come through a drought there is still dry grass around and it is all tinder dry. There are warnings of dry lightning storms forecast for SA northern pastoral areas this afternoon.

The Adelaide hills are a worry. This region recieved more rain this year and there is a huge bulk of dry material that would allow for catastrophic fires under heat wave conditions. Both local and state governments have been negligent in not doing more to mitigate the risk on public land.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

How do they get on for fodder? Not much grass in the paddocks here, my neighbour is feeding out everyday atm, as are most of the fartmers

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

@chameleon54 wrote:

The Adelaide hills are a worry. This region recieved more rain this year and there is a huge bulk of dry material that would allow for catastrophic fires under heat wave conditions. Both local and state governments have been negligent in not doing more to mitigate the risk on public land.

Unfortunately that's always going to be a big concern in some areas considering where they've built their

homes,(I used to dread delivering furniture in the hills because some of the "blocks" were in precarious

positions on the side of the hills and everything from below was at an angle upwards and had high grass

growing on it).

Once a fire starts in the lower areas it just goes straight up the hills and there is generally plenty of fuel to

start it and to keep it going on most private land areas as well,(public opinion will always blame Governments

for not doing enough but they can only do so much and they may have just gotten to the point where they

are going to get blamed anyway.

They may have been doing fire prevention elsewhere as the hills have always been a problem area and

access can be difficult yet people continue to build there).

We went through there last year in summer and a lot of paddocks had dry grass over 2 foot high for miles

along that journey,(especially through the older areas).

If you choose to build or live in a high risk fire prone area then it's their choice, shok.gif

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

8:55 pm here and it's still 41c 😞
Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

@lyhargr_0 wrote:

How do they get on for fodder? Not much grass in the paddocks here, my neighbour is feeding out everyday atm, as are most of the fartmers

We only had 125 mm. of rain for the year, but this still grew a bit of clover etc. in the pasture paddocks and the grain crops grew to around 20 - 30 cm. high. I have destocked heavily and only have 150 sheep left on 1100 acres. ( normally around 400-500 ) The rest have been moved down to the Adelaide hills where there is still plenty of feed.

The crops have been harvested on the drought affected property and the sheep are eating the grain stubble and shrivelled grain left behind by the harvesters. This might keep them going for a few more weeks at which point I will start moving hay cut on the hills farm back to the remote property to keep the sheep going.

It is highly likely the 300 extra sheep moved to the Adelaide hills will have to stay there for many months and maybe even a year while the drought affected property recovers. The beauty of the near desert country is that it responds very quickly to rain. If we get good opening rains in the autumn the place could look a picture in a couple of months and the sheep will be trucked back again.  .

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

@chameleon54 wrote:

@lyhargr_0 wrote:

How do they get on for fodder? Not much grass in the paddocks here, my neighbour is feeding out everyday atm, as are most of the farmers

We only had 125 mm. of rain for the year, but this still grew a bit of clover etc. in the pasture paddocks and the grain crops grew to around 20 - 30 cm. high. I have destocked heavily and only have 150 sheep left on 1100 acres. ( normally around 400-500 ) The rest have been moved down to the Adelaide hills where there is still plenty of feed.

The crops have been harvested on the drought affected property and the sheep are eating the grain stubble and shrivelled grain left behind by the harvesters. This might keep them going for a few more weeks at which point I will start moving hay cut on the hills farm back to the remote property to keep the sheep going.

It is highly likely the 300 extra sheep moved to the Adelaide hills will have to stay there for many months and maybe even a year while the drought affected property recovers. The beauty of the near desert country is that it responds very quickly to rain. If we get good opening rains in the autumn the place could look a picture in a couple of months and the sheep will be trucked back again.  .

Great that you are able to move them between farms, not everyone has that option. Also good that you are able to grow crops for harvesting, sounds like you are all set up  incase there ina long, dry summer

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

woke up to rain, pitter patter rain has set in, pleasant breeze, temp is 26c

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

1 mm here overnight   ...... didnt do much

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply