Trump saves African elephants by killing them

Donald Trump to allow importation of African elephant body parts to 'raise money for conservation'

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-17/trump-to-allow-hunters-to-import-african-elephant-body-parts/9...

Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

@davidc4430 wrote:

Donald Trump to allow importation of African elephant body parts to 'raise money for conservation'

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-17/trump-to-allow-hunters-to-import-african-elephant-body-parts/9...

It looks to me like the left wing media taking a possible idea and running with it. It reminds me of the time I argued about saving the rhinos on ebayUS. My idea....assigning each one guards and was told I was crazy. Their idea....controlled hunting, like suggested in the link and using the money to save them. 

Turns out, thankfully, I was right and they were assigned guards.

There are many more elephants than rhinos. Although I get where he's coming from (if he actually said it), I'd be against it. Like I said, there are many more elephants and they are still being hunted in massive numbers. Where will the money come from before they are in the situation as the rhinos?

From the link....."According to the United Nations, as many as 100,000 African elephants were killed between 2010 and 2012. For forest elephants, the population declined by an estimated 62 per cent between 2002 and 2011."

That's criminal. Any idea is better then lip service.

How about this?..... "Kenya reduced 105 tons of elephant ivory and 1.35 tons of rhino horn to smoldering ash—the final remains of some 6,500 elephants and 450 rhinos killed for their tusks and horns. As President Kenyatta said in a speech early Saturday, the burn is meant to send a strong and clear statement to the world: “For us, ivory is worthless unless it is on our elephants.”

Why in the hell isn't that being sold to fund conservation? The animals are already dead and crooked officials will continue to look the other way for payoffs.

Message 21 of 24
Latest reply

@tasfleur wrote:

I don't dare comment on this other than to note that there is definitely a lunatic element at the top end of Government in certain places!

It might look like that on the surface, but when the media purposely misleads the public that's the opinion many will be left with. It appears to me certain agreements were made by the previous administration that are going to expire.

I'm not into hunting, but they will be hunted, with or without us. I was against the idea until I read the thread on ebayUS. I hate to see an animal go to waste. So if they are going to be hunted (and apparently they need to be culled....too many?!), why not make money doing it and put that money toward conservation efforts?

So who said no one has ever had their opinion changed reading these boards? It changed mine.....(although I don't like it and you couldn't pay me to do it)

https://community.ebay.com/t5/The-Soapbox/For-Shame/td-p/27755161

(Although I still think hunting the black rhino is a stupid idea....same reasons for it were given)

Message 22 of 24
Latest reply

@jimmy*part4 wrote:

That's criminal. Any idea is better then lip service.

How about this?..... "Kenya reduced 105 tons of elephant ivory and 1.35 tons of rhino horn to smoldering ash—the final remains of some 6,500 elephants and 450 rhinos killed for their tusks and horns. As President Kenyatta said in a speech early Saturday, the burn is meant to send a strong and clear statement to the world: “For us, ivory is worthless unless it is on our elephants.”

Why in the hell isn't that being sold to fund conservation? The animals are already dead and crooked officials will continue to look the other way for payoffs.

This is what I have been saying for many years.

If the animals have already been killed it seems that their death is all for nothing.   If the government sold the tusks and horns they could raise a large amount for conservation and the animals lives would not have been in vain.

Message 23 of 24
Latest reply

It's only my personal opinion, but I think the elephants have died in vain no matter what happens afterwards.  That is to say that making elephant ivory more valuable to the criminal poachers by governments selling their remains is a travesty and false justification to those very killers to keep doing what they are doing.

Yes, the killers will keep killing for the sake of it because that's the kind of mentality they are, money driven and blood thirsty and that includes those same governments.

As for the "hunting" of them, I feel compelled to say that I always cheer for the animals when they get the opportunity to hunt the hunters and turn on them with full force ...  Smiley Happy

Some humans are so flawed that their historical cave man primitive instincts will never catch up with the present or future.

Message 24 of 24
Latest reply