How old is too old to have a baby?

For discussions sake, let’s not get into age related infertility, or even higher risks or birth defects or genetic diseases.

Just curious as to what people think is ‘too old’ to be having a baby.
Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

At an age which is not fair on the children.

Lets remember having children is a priviledge, it is up to nature which includes unselfish decisions made by thoughtful potential parents.

Nothing to do with want. (What I consider the worst in human nature)

image host
Message 2 of 24
Latest reply

I was 42 when our last child was born. That makes me 60 on their 18th birthday. MAANNN They make me tired now !!!   I can still keep up.......just...... but I wouldnt want to be any older and trying to stay on top of running around after them and keeping them on the straight and narrow. I suspect many kids born to very old parents run a much greater risk of running wild without adequate parenting as older parents find it is just to hard to cope with teenagers when the parents are in their 60,s. ( I realise that is not true for everyone and many grandparents are taking on parental responsabilities )

The other thing is teenagers are financially draining. It doesnt leave much time after they fly the nest to prepare financially for retirement.

SOOOO in an ideal world, most people would have their children before age 40 to allow time and energy at the other end when the kids are 18 or 20. and the parents 60

Message 3 of 24
Latest reply

johcaschro
Community Member

"Families can expect to spend between $12,350 and nearly $14,000 a year, on average, to raise a child."

http://money.cnn.com/2017/01/09/pf/cost-of-raising-a-child-2015/index.html

And if you multiply that yearly cost by, say, 20  . . . well, you get the idea.

Now, how many engagement rings did you say you have? And what are they worth?

aaaand . . . . are you prepared or willing to sell them?

Message 4 of 24
Latest reply

As long as the googies are still there, no age is too old IMO.

Message 5 of 24
Latest reply

@not_for_sale2017 wrote:

I think they are more like an old sports car. Its nice to get them out and give them a polish and a bit of a run now and again, but once they get too old, I dont think you would want to use them for their original purpose......Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 24
Latest reply

@chameleon54 wrote:

@not_for_sale2017 wrote:

I think they are more like an old sports car. Its nice to get them out and give them a polish and a bit of a run now and again, but once they get too old, I dont think you would want to use them for their original purpose......Smiley Very Happy

Some of those old classics are surprisingly well made and incredibly reliable. Don't underestimate the benefits of a top brand that has been well run in. If they've been regularly serviced, they can deliver just as well as the current models.

Message 7 of 24
Latest reply

@krylekathe1 wrote:
For discussions sake, let’s not get into age related infertility, or even higher risks or birth defects or genetic diseases.

Just curious as to what people think is ‘too old’ to be having a baby.

I'd say nature is a pretty good guide. One of the oldest natural conceptions/births i read about in Australia was someone about age 53.

There are probably some older in other countries but you couldn't count on being fertile at that age or older, it's not the norm.

I know with IVF etc much older 'mothers' can give birth & it's a baby, but not their biological baby. I suppose if they had had their eggs saved 30 years earlier it then would be, but for present day older women, the technology wasn't there 30-40 years ago.

Maybe it's about time we faced facts. No matter what makeup people use or surgical facelifts people might have, bodies age and the average life expectancy is around the 80 mark. Maybe a few years either side. But don't expect to still be top of your game till then. Just because a person is alive & breathing doesn't mean they're up to looking after young children or teens.

So.. I would say no children over age 60 & ideally before age 50. Gives the woman a fair chance of living long enough to raise the child. 

But really-we need to turn things around a little bit so women don't think it's fine to delay till then, we need women to realise that their 20s is actually prime time.

Message 8 of 24
Latest reply

I don't really have an opinion on what is 'too old' BUT what does irk me 

If someone has a baby at say 15 or 16 years of age, it is said they are selfish/stupid/child will have no future etc etc etc

Someone of 50 or 60 has a baby

It's oh is'nt it wonderful/a blessing/a miracle/how wonderful

I don't see the difference ?

Message 9 of 24
Latest reply

Is there a clucky pink poodle on board?

pink.gif

Message 10 of 24
Latest reply