VIETNAM WAR 50 YEARS ON.

For many of us, we remember the events and happenings of the Major Conflict that we know today as The Vietnam War.

This was the first time that actual War Footage came into our Lounges via the square box with 4 legs on it, called the Television.

What many of us saw and had etched into our minds and memory banks was the sheer force of actual conflict being presented by both friend & foe. The senseless taking of life in not only Military Terms, but also Civilian Terms, was also unaccountable.

Peoples very lives, villages, homes, and families destroyed, and devastated, never to return to previous days.

Was it a War that we as Australians should have been involved in ?

Very easy for those who were not called up via Conscription, or were already Serving in the Australian Armed Forces. 

Let us Remember three Main Points here:

1.  Australia's involvement in the Vietnam Conflict was NOT VOTED ON BY PARLIAMENT as was required by  e Constitution.  Notice l termed it a Conflict & not  a War. At no time did we declare War on North Vietnam.

The Serving Men & Women of the Australian Defence Force, are AT ALL TIMES UNDER ORDERS OF THE  GOVERNMENT OF THE DAY.

There were many Serving Personnel that did not agree that we should have been involved in the Conflict, but were Duty  Bound by the Constitution of their Country to obey the call for request by the Republic of South Vietnam for "assistance". This call 

also echoed by the United States of America.

2. The Decision to Send "Assistance" Military wise, was not Voted on, but was a decision made by the Prime Minister at     the time Harold Holt, PM  and after his "Death", the next Prime Minister Robert Menzies, PM, with the support verbally     of the Opposition Party,The Liberal Party.

3. The "Losers" in any War or Conflict are always the Civilian People, always have been through History, and always

wil be in any conflict, as we see today on our Teevision screens.l   

Yes, we "Lost" many fine young Australian's to a conflict that today seems so far away, yet,should never be forgotten.

Whether "we" should have been there at all, was not decided by the Australian People, as it should have, but we were there,      with Valour, Pride, & Distinction.

Was l asked if l "wanted" to be sent to a fair away place, meet interesting people's, and destroy them ?  NO, but l went

and Served as l was Commanded to by my  Commander, The Chief, of The Royal Australian Army. I obeyed, l served, and by           the Grace of God, l was able to Return Home, even though Physically & Mentally Wounded to this Day. All War is Hell.

As we would often make comment, at the time, "Bloody ell mate, cannot remember the last time l saw a North Vietnamese    

plane Bomb Australia."   Point Taken.  

50 Years may have gone by, but the pain, memory,suffering and reflections of the time, will never GO AWAY.

IN MEMORY OF ALL WHO HAVE SERVED AND GAVE THEIR ALL, IN THEIR SUPREME SACRIFICE.      RIP.   "Diggers"

Dale Dibble - The News & All The News.                 $_12.JPG 

Message 1 of 38
Latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

Re: VIETNAM WAR 50 YEARS ON.

Australian SAS,first into Nam attached to 3 RAR, 1966. They had previously served in Borneo,1965.

Message 21 of 38
Latest reply

joa_ell
Community Member

Whitewash of the Vietnam War

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axR-CZD4ltY

Gulf of Tonkin: McNamara admits It didn't happen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HODxnUrFX6k

Message 22 of 38
Latest reply

@j*oono wrote:

@*julia*2010 wrote:

@myoclon1cjerk wrote:
What's wrong,Julia.An aversion to the truth?

no, i just don't think you wrote it.

No, but he contributed it to this thread.  Seriously?

kudos to you for your concern Smiley Happy

seriously though, its ok.

myoclon1cjerk asks me to back up my claims

with links Smiley Happy  - so dont let our 

harmless interactions worry you too much  Smiley Happy

Message 23 of 38
Latest reply

The attack on August 2nd DID occur.........the one on the 4th which didn't occur was justification for upgrading hostilities..........

Message 24 of 38
Latest reply

Vietnam was not a war but a conflict, BIG difference.

Was it a False Flag Operation?

Research Gulf of Tonkin Incident and draw your own conclusion

You owe that much to the people who lost their lives and the people whose lives were affected

Message 25 of 38
Latest reply

The resolution to enter into the conflict was bases on the August 4 Incident. Did it actually happen or was it a False Flag Operation?

Message 26 of 38
Latest reply

Asked and answered........see above.

Message 27 of 38
Latest reply

Research Gulf of Tonkin Incident and draw your own conclusion. You owe that much to the people who lost their lives and the people whose lives were affected

I don't see how I owe them anything, but it would be a nice gesture to them. What matters is what we owe ourselves, and this is but one of many things that should be researched. Not just in limited forms of information, like a book, or TV, but across the internet from many perspectives. Then draw your conclusions.

Message 28 of 38
Latest reply

@bluecat*stopsdancing wrote:

The first demonstration that I went to, at the ripe old age of 12, was an anti-Vietnam one. It was huge.

Unlike a lot of Viet-Vets, some whom l know through family, have never marched on ANZAC DAY, due to three reasons, 

No After Support for them from the Federal Government whom sent then away.

No Recognition or Support by the RSL Association HQ, or their Sub-Branches.  (Members thought it another Phonies War)

The Lack of true Appreciation and Support from the Australian Public, (many referred to us as "Baby Killers) and other cruel names.

I hold a great deal of RESPECT to people who such as yourself, who saw it an unjustified War, and wanted to bring to notice the Federal Government Leaders of the Day, how inhumane, unjust, and unlawful as far as our constitution was, that this War should have involved the lives of our Young Men & Women.

If you could get enough "ground swell", then maybe our Government would see that this War was morally wrong, of little value to the country, and was now voicing the concern and anguish of the Australian Voters.

You involved in the moratoriums, Marches and Protests of the time, were the real winners of the Vietnam War, you told the Government in an no uncertain manner at the next Federal Election, that it was time for our Troops to come Home.

I have always RESPECTED your RIGHT to Protest, but not how it was done by some, at the time.  Many of us were confused why you were Protesting, ....that News was largely Blacked out to us over there. Even our Mail was checked, well, ours was.

If was when we eventually ALL came Home, that we saw just how much the Australian people "hated" us so much. We came back with Mental & Physical injuries, and had to contend with a Hostile to the most part, Civilian Population.

Adelaide.jpgPO Crowd.jpgbadge moro.jpg

Adelaide 1969  50,000 Protest    Adelaide 1970 over 100,000 Protest in my "Home" Town.   Was this your Peace Symbol.

Thank you for your honest input.  Even at 12 years of age, YOUR VOICE WAS HEARD.  YOU GOT US HOME & THANK YOU.

Message 29 of 38
Latest reply

It was not, it was "Engineered" by yes you know who ?

Hint, it was not Uncle Ho

You are spot on eeebatt !!!!!
Message 30 of 38
Latest reply