Victim not allowed to know where paroled attacker lives to protect his privacy :(

http://www.news.com.au/national-news/victoria/victim-not-allowed-to-know-where-paroled-attacker-live...

inShare

Domestic vioence victim

Domestic vioence victim Jeannie Blackburn is lobbying the government to release information regarding the whereabouts of violent criminals who have been released on parole.

A VICTIM of terrifying domestic violence has been told she is not allowed to know the area where her paroled attacker is living because of HIS right to privacy.

Jeannie Blackburn suffered 18-months of unprovoked violent abuse at the hands of Paul Francis McCuskey, culminating in her losing sight in one eye after he dragged her from her bed and stomped on her head.

Medical experts said her injuries were similar to that of a high impact car crash.

McCuskey was released from prison in April - with two and a half years to serve on parole - but pleas to the Adult Parole Board and Victims of Crime Register to know the area where he is living have been denied.

In a bizarre twist, McCuskey has been informed of where Ms Blackburn lives, as he is not allowed to go near her address.

"I don't want to know what street or even what suburb he is in, but just a general area to avoid for my own protection." Ms Blackburn said.

"I am being made to feel like a prisoner in my own home while he is free to walk the streets as he pleases.

"Why does he have more rights than I do, when I have done nothing wrong?"

domestic violence

Paul Francis McCuskey who is on parole for domestic violence against his ex-partner Jeannine Blackburn, who is fighting to know where her attacker is now living.

The woman beater also caused Ms Blackburn to miscarry after kicking her in the stomach in another sickening attack.

McCuskey, who received a bravery award for being one of several CFA volunteers who rescued an elderly woman at Cambarville during the 2009 Black Saturday bush fires, later had the honour stripped after intervention from the Governor General of Australia, Quentin Bryce.

He was sentenced to five years and six months in prison, with a minimum of three years, in April 2010.

Ms Blackburn said she contacted the Adult Parole Board to find out the general area of where he was living after his release on April 27 this year.

She claims she was told they could not tell her due to his right to privacy. The allegation is denied by the Adult Parole Board.

Ms Blackburn said she then contacted the Victims of Crime Register and wrote a letter requesting the information early last month without reply.

Domestic vioence victim

Domestic vioence victim Jeannie Blackburn is lobbying the government to release information regarding the whereabouts of violent criminals who have been released on parole.

Its website states: "Inclusion on the Register does not entitle you to information about… Where the prisoner / offender lives or intends

to live upon release from prison."

Ms Blackburn now intends to lobby the State Government to change the law.

"He lost his privacy rights when he pleaded guilty to intentionally, recklessly and seriously injuring me, at least while on parole" she said.

"Laws should be in place to protect the innocent, not the guilty."

A spokesman for the Adult Parole Board said McCuskey is subject to a "strict supervision regime."

"If Mr McCuskey fails to comply with any condition of his order, he will be immediately reported to the Board," he said.

jon.kaila@news.com.au

Read more: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/national-news/victoria/victim-not-allowed-to-know-where-paroled-attacker...

Message 1 of 99
Latest reply
98 REPLIES 98

Re: Victim not allowed to know where paroled attacker lives to protect his privacy :(

This oman has now been given the relevant info on his wherabouts
http://video.au.msn.com/watch/video/living-in-fear/xku3zxf
Message 91 of 99
Latest reply

Re: Victim not allowed to know where paroled attacker lives to protect his privacy :(

Thank you for sharing that. Great outcome for this lady

Message 92 of 99
Latest reply

Great news.  I hope that her lobbying makes it fairer for all victims of domestic violence.  

Joono
Message 93 of 99
Latest reply

@izabsmiling wrote:

what is that about ?

Looks like a bit of wisdom envy to me.     Smiley Wink

Message 94 of 99
Latest reply

wake up australia !! are you for real.?? he may just drop around one night and this time kick her to death. be good to know where he is so his ex partner can move, or be prepared for his visit. don't think it won't happen, because it does, and quite often.

@i-need-a-martini wrote:

But why does she need to know? He's done his time so there is no reason for the information to be divulged.

Message 95 of 99
Latest reply

Well, I think the reason for him knowing where she lives is so if he is seen in her neighbourhood he has violated his parole and will be slapped back in prison.

If she moves and doesn't tell anyone, then he could find and stalk her and there is nothing the law can do about it until he injures her again as he will not have violated his parole if he is in an area that is not stipulated on his parole.

In the meantime she is not allowed to know where he is in case she sends the marfia around and eradicates him, which I a sure she has wished she could on numerous occasions.

Anyway that's my take on it for what it's worth.

Message 96 of 99
Latest reply

That's great news. Smiley Happy

Message 97 of 99
Latest reply

because i dont want to go where he is. Its also respect. yes, he has done his time, i still have one eye and i am very mindful of my situation. the fact that we are not born with three eyes. i dont have a spare eye.And he knows that. So perhaps i would like to take my nephew fishing. camping. WHERE DO I NOT GO? thats all i asked to know

@i-need-a-martini wrote:

But why does she need to know? He's done his time so there is no reason for the information to be divulged.

Message 98 of 99
Latest reply

Yep my sister can't even go to the icecream shop when she comes to my area to visit me because her ex still lives nearby. We have to hide her car in my garage or she parks in the next town and I go collect her. It's ridiculous the lengths you have to go to to avoid scummers.

Message 99 of 99
Latest reply