WORDLE - anyone else trying the daily online word game?

I recently stumbled across WORDLE online.  For the uninitiated, it is a daily word guessing game where you have to try to guess the word in 6 or less tries.

https://www.powerlanguage.co.uk/wordle/

This, from Wikipedia, explains the game:

Every day, a five-letter word is chosen which players aim to guess within six tries. After every guess, each letter is marked as either green, yellow or gray: green indicates that letter is correct and in the correct position, yellow means it is in the answer but not in the right position, while gray indicates it is not in the answer at all. The game has a "hard mode" option, which requires players to include letters marked as green and yellow in subsequent guesses. The daily word is the same for everyone. The game also has a dark mode as well as a high-contrast theme for colourblind accessibility, which changes the color scheme from green and yellow to orange and blue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wordle

This abc news story has some tips for playing:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-26/why-wordle-has-become-a-new-online-obsession/100782794

I have found that most that most days I can get the daily word in 5 tries or less (mostly 5 though).  Interestingly, there is a spinoff of WORDLE called LEWDLE, where the words are lewd, or naughty, words.  I have better success with LEWDLE than I do with WORDLE . . . getting the word in just 2 or 3 attempts.  Not sure what that says about my private school education ๐Ÿคฃ

Message 1 of 4,929
Latest reply
4,928 REPLIES 4,928

Re: WORDLE - anyone else trying the daily online word game?

Wordle 1,039 4/6

โฌ›๐ŸŸจโฌ›โฌ›๐ŸŸจ
๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸฉโฌ›โฌ›โฌ›
โฌ›โฌ›๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸฉโฌ›
๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸฉ

Ah wellโ€ฆ it needed 4, and thereby ends my tale (as the mouse almost said).

Message 4871 of 4,929
Latest reply

Daily Octordle #820
8๏ธโƒฃ๐Ÿ”Ÿ
6๏ธโƒฃ9๏ธโƒฃ
4๏ธโƒฃ3๏ธโƒฃ
7๏ธโƒฃ5๏ธโƒฃ
Score: 52

3R was obvious, and after that, 3L became obvious.

Then 4R - easy enough.

And now things slowed down.

I couldnโ€™t solve 4L until Iโ€™d solved 2L - and 2L involved something of a guess.

In the wake of solving 4L, I could solve 1L.

Having solved both 1L and 4L, I could solve 2R.

I was left with 1R - and once more I needed a guess based on the three letters Iโ€™d uncovered, and what remained unplayed. I made a guess that felt right.

Message 4872 of 4,929
Latest reply

Wordle 1,040 2/6

๐ŸŸจ๐ŸŸจโฌ›โฌ›๐ŸŸจ
๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸฉ

My opener (the most usual one) gave me a good start, but I took the sort of risk thatโ€™s unusual for me in trying out a guess for the 2nd row. I really should have gone for an eliminator, but a word had popped into my mind and I thoughtโ€ฆ letโ€™s try it. Itโ€™s not life or death.

And it was correct.

Message 4873 of 4,929
Latest reply

Daily Octordle #821
9๏ธโƒฃ5๏ธโƒฃ
๐Ÿ”Ÿ3๏ธโƒฃ
4๏ธโƒฃ8๏ธโƒฃ
7๏ธโƒฃ6๏ธโƒฃ
Score: 52

There were a couple of words that could have been a few different things. I held off on solving two or three words in the hopes of being able to rule in or out a few letters, but I just had to go for two of them: 4R (with that initial letter), and 2L (which might have started with a particular letter and might have included a double, or might NOT have included a double and had instead another letter, or might have been an anagram of thatโ€ฆ).

Message 4874 of 4,929
Latest reply

@countessalmirena wrote:

My opener (the most usual one) gave me a good start, but I took the sort of risk thatโ€™s unusual for me in trying out a guess for the 2nd row. I really should have gone for an eliminator, but a word had popped into my mind and I thoughtโ€ฆ letโ€™s try it. Itโ€™s not life or death.

And it was correct.

I should have read this before I tried wordle today. But too late! ๐Ÿ˜

After my first guess, a word popped into my mind but I thought nope, try to work out what other possibilities there could be. An immediate and obvious one  then occurred to me and I thought maybe it was more the sort of common word the Bot might go for.

Should have gone with my first thought but as you know, my first thoughts often lead me astray! ๐Ÿ˜‚

Wordle 1,042 3/6

๐ŸŸจโฌ›๐ŸŸจโฌ›โฌ›
โฌ›๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸฉ
๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸฉ

Message 4875 of 4,929
Latest reply

Daily Octordle #823
9๏ธโƒฃ5๏ธโƒฃ
๐Ÿ”Ÿ6๏ธโƒฃ
๐Ÿ•›7๏ธโƒฃ
8๏ธโƒฃ4๏ธโƒฃ
Score: 61

I had a similar thing happen to me in #5 & 8, in that the first answers that occurred to me, I didn't go with & I should have.

Message 4876 of 4,929
Latest reply

Wordle 1,042 3/6

โฌ›โฌ›๐ŸŸจโฌ›โฌ›
๐ŸŸจ๐ŸŸจโฌ›๐ŸŸจโฌ›
๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸฉ

I didnโ€™t know where we were going wordwiseโ€ฆ until the eliminator helped out.

Message 4877 of 4,929
Latest reply

Daily Quordle 823
5๏ธโƒฃ4๏ธโƒฃ
7๏ธโƒฃ2๏ธโƒฃ
m-w.com/games/quordle/
๐ŸŸฉโฌœโฌœโฌœ๐ŸŸจ โฌœ๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸฉโฌœ๐ŸŸจ
๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸจโฌœโฌœโฌœ โฌœ๐ŸŸจ๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸจโฌœ
โฌœโฌœ๐ŸŸจโฌœโฌœ โฌœโฌœโฌœ๐ŸŸจโฌœ
โฌœโฌœโฌœ๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸฉ ๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸฉ
๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸฉ โฌ›โฌ›โฌ›โฌ›โฌ›

โฌœโฌœโฌœโฌœ๐ŸŸจ ๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸจ๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸจโฌœ
โฌœโฌœโฌœโฌœโฌœ ๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸฉ
๐ŸŸจโฌœโฌœโฌœโฌœ โฌ›โฌ›โฌ›โฌ›โฌ›
โฌœโฌœโฌœ๐ŸŸฉโฌœ โฌ›โฌ›โฌ›โฌ›โฌ›
โฌœโฌœ๐ŸŸจ๐ŸŸฉโฌœ โฌ›โฌ›โฌ›โฌ›โฌ›
โฌœ๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸฉ โฌ›โฌ›โฌ›โฌ›โฌ›

Message 4878 of 4,929
Latest reply

Daily Octordle #823
5๏ธโƒฃ6๏ธโƒฃ
3๏ธโƒฃ7๏ธโƒฃ
๐Ÿ•š8๏ธโƒฃ
4๏ธโƒฃ๐Ÿ”Ÿ
Score: 54

I used CATER as my starter, and FOUND as my 2nd row eliminator. Things were moving along nicely โ€ฆ but when I had only two words left to solve, I was faced with a dilemma.

4R - the final letter. Was it x or y? (Youโ€™ll know what I mean.) And 3L - I knew by that point that letters 3 and 4 must be zz or aa. Itโ€™s possible I would guess correctly - but the chances were higher than Iโ€™d guess at least one incorrectly. In that case Iโ€™d lose nothing by ruling in or out the possibilities for both words, if I could do that in one move. I used a word that covered all possibilitiesโ€ฆ and there we are.

Message 4879 of 4,929
Latest reply

Daily Quordle 823
4๏ธโƒฃ2๏ธโƒฃ
6๏ธโƒฃ3๏ธโƒฃ
m-w.com/games/quordle/
โฌœโฌœ๐ŸŸจโฌœโฌœ โฌœโฌœโฌœโฌœโฌœ
โฌœโฌœโฌœ๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸฉ ๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸฉ
๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸจโฌœโฌœโฌœ โฌ›โฌ›โฌ›โฌ›โฌ›

โฌœโฌœโฌœโฌœโฌœ โฌœโฌœ๐ŸŸจโฌœ๐ŸŸฉ
โฌœโฌœโฌœ๐ŸŸฉโฌœ โฌœ๐ŸŸจ๐ŸŸฉโฌœ๐ŸŸจ
โฌœโฌœโฌœโฌœโฌœ ๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸฉ๐ŸŸฉ
โฌœโฌœ๐ŸŸจ๐ŸŸฉโฌœ โฌ›โฌ›โฌ›โฌ›โฌ›
๐ŸŸจ๐ŸŸจ๐ŸŸจโฌœโฌœ โฌ›โฌ›โฌ›โฌ›โฌ›

Well! Thatโ€™s one of my better Quordle results. An eliminator I donโ€™t often use has turned out to be the 2R word and itโ€™s given me 4R, which then gave me 1L. I did use another eliminator - DUSKY - and that gave me the final answer.

Message 4880 of 4,929
Latest reply