WORDLE - anyone else trying the daily online word game?

I recently stumbled across WORDLE online.  For the uninitiated, it is a daily word guessing game where you have to try to guess the word in 6 or less tries.

https://www.powerlanguage.co.uk/wordle/

This, from Wikipedia, explains the game:

Every day, a five-letter word is chosen which players aim to guess within six tries. After every guess, each letter is marked as either green, yellow or gray: green indicates that letter is correct and in the correct position, yellow means it is in the answer but not in the right position, while gray indicates it is not in the answer at all. The game has a "hard mode" option, which requires players to include letters marked as green and yellow in subsequent guesses. The daily word is the same for everyone. The game also has a dark mode as well as a high-contrast theme for colourblind accessibility, which changes the color scheme from green and yellow to orange and blue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wordle

This abc news story has some tips for playing:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-26/why-wordle-has-become-a-new-online-obsession/100782794

I have found that most that most days I can get the daily word in 5 tries or less (mostly 5 though).  Interestingly, there is a spinoff of WORDLE called LEWDLE, where the words are lewd, or naughty, words.  I have better success with LEWDLE than I do with WORDLE . . . getting the word in just 2 or 3 attempts.  Not sure what that says about my private school education 🤣

Message 1 of 4,926
Latest reply
4,925 REPLIES 4,925

Re: WORDLE - anyone else trying the daily online word game?

Daily Dordle 0823 5&3/7
🟩 🟩🟩
🟨🟨
🟨 🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
zaratustra.itch.io/dordle

CRATE as my starter gave me some idea about the shape of the RH word, and my eliminator was helpful in narrowing down the possibilities. I still had insufficient information for the LH word, but another eliminator did the trick.

Message 4881 of 4,926
Latest reply

Wordle 1,043 4/6

🟨🟩🟨
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I just went for it on turn 2 and got it wrong, but at least I knew the pattern. Problem was, there were still several possibilities so I just had to use an eliminator at turn 3 to help me out.

Message 4882 of 4,926
Latest reply

Daily Octordle #824
🕛6️⃣
5️⃣🔟
8️⃣9️⃣
7️⃣4️⃣
Score: 61

Some repeat words in here today.

Kicking myself as I made a stupid mistake on the first word. It was near the end of the game and I failed to notice or forgot about 2 letters that had been exposed on my first turn! Careless.

Message 4883 of 4,926
Latest reply

Wordle 1,044 3/6

🟨🟨
🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I was lucky with this.

After my second turn, I could only think of one answer on the spur of the moment, so i tried it. Bot tells me there were actually four.

Message 4884 of 4,926
Latest reply

Daily Octordle #825
🕛5️⃣
9️⃣4️⃣
7️⃣🕚
8️⃣🔟
Score: 66

It was #6 that had me hestating as I could initially think of 3 it could possibly be

Spoiler
riper, piper & viper

Once I solved #8, the way was clear with #6.

But #1 had me beat for a while. With most letters gone, I thought of the answer, it sounded right but I wasn't sure what it meant or even if it actually was a word, so I looked it up and it was listed as a dance in wikipedia. That was good enough for me. This lot like dance words.

Message 4885 of 4,926
Latest reply

Wordle 1,044 3/6

🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Ridiculous!

My eyes almost popped like popcorn as I saw the result of my eliminator. There was absolutely nothing left to guess.

TRACE was my starter. I’m sure you can guess which word I used as my eliminator.

Message 4886 of 4,926
Latest reply

Daily Octordle #825
7️⃣🔟
3️⃣4️⃣
8️⃣9️⃣
5️⃣6️⃣
Score: 52

TRACE once again… then BOUGH. I then knew 2L and had a choice of two for 2R - guessing correctly. 

Although I only had two letters for 4L, I knew what the vowel must be, which meant I also knew what the 2nd and 4th letters must be.

I now knew 4R as well.

1L danced into position.

3L was now becoming clearer; I was reasonably sure that a letter I’d not yet played must be the first letter, which made the rest of that word possible to work out.

3R was one of those words where possibilities abound, but I knew the first letter must be one of a certain subset. The final letter must be either one of two choices. I suspected the identity of the word based on experience - and was correct. Phew.

This left me with one last word to solve - 1R. It all hinges on the final letter. There were two possibilities that were most obvious; I chose one of them.

Correct! And now all was done.

Message 4887 of 4,926
Latest reply

Wordle 1,045 4/6

🟨
🟩
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Bot commiserated with me today in that after my first word, I was still left with hundreds of possible answers.

Very unlucky, he said.

The thing that surprised me though is after my second word, he told me there were now only 6 possibilities.

I didn't even stop to try to work out any answers as I just assumed there would be many more than that. 

So I just used a 3rd word as eliminator and suddenly saw the light.

Message 4888 of 4,926
Latest reply

Daily Octordle #826
6️⃣3️⃣
4️⃣7️⃣
9️⃣🔟
🕚8️⃣
Score: 58

Although the score is better than usual for me in that it is under 60, I was kicking myself with this one.

I don't know what brain meltdown I had, but #5. I looked at it and was quite confident I knew the positions of the first 4 letters. But what could go on the end, I wondered. There was only one letter in my unused pile that could fit the bill and I was puzzled when it came up wrong.

When that happens, it is usually another letter that is already in the word that is repeated, but in this case, nope, none that made sense. I tried the remaining unused letters, couldn't make sense of any. Left it.

It was only later when I went back to it, that I realised there was a letter exposed earlier that I ahd not used.

I had actually thought of that word but for some reason, had assumed it was ruled out as that letter had already been used.

Message 4889 of 4,926
Latest reply

Oh no, springyzone… You were unlucky with your starter, and I feel ridiculously guilty as my starter handed me the answer on a plate.

Wordle 1,045 2/6

🟨🟩🟩🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

But given your starter, you did well to get the answer in 4.

Message 4890 of 4,926
Latest reply