Wallaby infestation in the South island New Zealand

Many years ago some one bought in 3 pairs of Wallabies in to the South island, now on the one Property they are killing 2000 a year.

3 Wallabies eat as much as 1 sheep.

We also have Wallabies on a few North Island, Islands.

Aussies. can you please come and take your Wallabies back and also your Possums 🙂

Message 1 of 37
Latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

@i-need-a-martini wrote:

@lionrose.7 wrote:

🙂 No they just eat all the sheeps Grass 🙂

I just got back from a week travelling around North Island and it seems to me you guys have PLENTY of grass to around lol...

Not so much in central Sth Is, especially in drought conditions. Rabbits have decimated the farmland in the Mackenzie Country (where Lake Tekapo is).

Strange thing is they have turned some of the dry land farms in Canterbury into dairy farms. Irrigating like crazy to keep up the required grass supply for the dairy cows. That's not going to end well in the future.

Message 31 of 37
Latest reply

horror smiley.gif    Ermagerd!  Do I have to buy local fresh fruit and veg now?

Otherwise it's pot luck.  Now I know why they say 'ignorance is bliss'

Message 32 of 37
Latest reply

The Australian laws say they have to state country of origin

No, some just say 'imported ingredients, or local and imported ingredients (which could mean 1 Aust frozen raspberry and the rest from ?? country}

Australian made - e.g. juice... import frozen juice concentrate and add Aust water. - qualifies

stawka - after the frozen berry/HEP A scare, the current Govt says they are going to address/change  food labelling requirements

Message 33 of 37
Latest reply

Well I did my bit for NZ when we visited a few years ago. I bought a beautiful merino and possum fibre cardigan, which I love to bits and am wearing to death..

Message 34 of 37
Latest reply

I have two possum/merino cardigans/jackets. Upset to find last year a moth larvae (?) had eaten a small hole (under the arm) on one of them though.

Never had that happen before.

Message 35 of 37
Latest reply

I have a Possum Merino one as well, the warmest cardie ever.

Friend sent it to me, she did not like the colour.

Message 36 of 37
Latest reply

@lionrose.7 wrote:

Bay Of Plenty, Papamoa, down the Road from the Mount

Well I could have dropped in if I had known - we drove straight through Papamoa on way to Rotorua. 

Message 37 of 37
Latest reply