Wedding dress deposit, should we be worried

legarlu
Community Member

A couple of months ago dd paid a deposit on a wedding dress.   For some reason I googled the the owners name and found that their ABN has been cancelled last week.   Could it just be the accountantant being slack or should we be worrying.

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Wedding dress deposit, should we be worried

Be very careful.

About the wedding dress. Was it a dress that has to be ordered in or was it one already in store?

Often these days, the dress is ordered in and may take a few months to arrive, then be altered etc.

The timeline is usually about 4 months.

In your situation, I would ask the shop owners directly. They may not tell you all the truth, but then again they may be able to ease your mind. Maybe they are in the middle of a changeover of some sort. I don't know. Ask.

If your dress is already in store though and you are worried or suspect trouble, pay the balance and take that dress home, even if alterations have not been made. You can always get dressmakers.

If the dress is being ordered in, then pay no more money until it arrives. And check that timeline carefully.

Be concerned if the arrival is delayed past the expected dates and they make excuses.

A few years ago, I had 2 daughters who married in the same year. With both girls, the dresses were ordered in, the timeline was clear, the dresses arrived about the time we were told (which was several months before the wedding). There was an air of order and competence about the business. One store was a large franchise, the other a small family business with several employees, but in both, that air of order was there.

But with the second girl, the bridesmaids' frocks were ordered at a different bridal store. It was not a large business, seemed to have one woman owner, friendly enough but I was startled by something she said when the girls ordered their frocks and were measured up. The dresses were advertised as made to measure and on the receipt, it mentioned timeline to arrival was 4-5 months. I commented that they should come in in about July/Aug then and that should be in plenty of time for a December wedding. The woman said that even if they came in the day before the wedding, that would still be 'in time'.

In hindsight, that attitude was a warning to how the whole business was run. I wasn't impressed at the time.

The dresses did not come in in 4-5 months. or 6, or 7, or 8. Each time we rang, we were fobbed off with 'don't know'.

They arrived in Dec and one of my daughters picked her frock up, unfinished, the day before the wedding. Thank goodness I have a friend who is handy with a needle.

I had paid extra for alterations for her frock but our main aim by then was just to get the dress.

We were lucky. Several months later that woman was on TV. Other clients were complaining as their frocks (wedding frocks) never came in on time at all or came so late the clients bought elsewhere. She closed down her business. She was not bankrupt or anything  but the lease ran out on that store and she did not renew it.

But she is out there I am sure, under another name no doubt.

To be fair, the business where you ordered your frock might be fine. I'm not trying to frighten you, just warning you to be cautious and if it is a small business, keep an eye out, pay no more money till you can see the dress and create merry hell if the dress doesn't come in on schedule. Good luck. There's enough stress with a wedding, you need to feel confident that at least the dress is under control.

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

Thanks springyzone.  Dd picked dress more than 12 months before the wedding,feb. 60 percent deposit paid. Dress is ok but I dislike the bodice and the seller suggested we contact the lady that does the alterations who could definitely come up with some ideas.  We contacted the lady but she said she can't help until we have the actual dress and I asked her where we can go in the meantime to get

some trims, embellishments.  She said she has her own suppliers and wouldn't give out their details.  So at the moment we are just less than 12 months to the wedding, 60 percent deposit paid 4 months ago final measurements taken this week.  When the final measurements were taken I did ask if we could transfer the deposit to another dress.  Definitely not it has been ordered I questioned how so if the final measurements hadn't been done, the material has been put aside.  Really don't believe that as it's only organza with horsebraid edge, no lace.  Anyway I expressed my disappointment as we had to find our own trim/embellishments. Dd wasn't happy with what we found so now the seller is being extra helpful and says she will source some herself.  We haven't been given a time when the dress will ready.  So then I find out the seller's abn has been cancelled a few days ago.  Don't think it's going to end well.

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

I would be very worried if the ABN has been cancelled.

I can't think of any reason for it to be cancelled that does not spell TROUBLE for you, the customer.

There is a section on the ASIC website where you can find out if a business has closed down or been put into liquidation.....have a look and see if the business or owner are on the list.  The cancellation of the ABN is the last step in winding up a business.

A Google search of the ABN can throw up lots of information too.

Don't sit and wait to see what happens......if it has gone pear shaped you need as much time as possible to look for another dress.

Good luck!!

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply