What A Waste

I’m sitting in the home office keying a few books and occasionally looking across to the boat ramp. Crabbing season is in full swing. The car park is full with the usual suspects of Asian and Middle Eastern appearance.

Then a couple of hours ago the Fisheries arrive. Now I been out a number of time in the last month looking for a feed only to throw back 19 out of every 20 as being undersized, whereas I see others come in with a tub-full.  Wonder who called them and recommended it might be worthwhile to come around and have look.

Time to set up a table and chair next to the front gate, grab a couple of beers and watch the fun.

Immediately they arrive all those who haven’t made it to ramp immediately turn around and go back out. Those already on the ramp start their cars and try to leave. Too late. Nobodies leaving until the catch has been inspect.

Thus fare well in excess of 300 undersized cabs seized and with expiation notices served.

Now the tide is rising, so the people still out there have two options. Tread water or dump their load of now dead undersized crabs and come in.

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: What A Waste

Well said, TB Where I live in WA we  also are finding it harder and harder to get a legal bagful, and our fisheries people are also  pretty on the ball with inspections. The only difference is that  here in Bunbury very few of the usual suspects are of Asian or Middle Eastern appearance.

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

@tall_bearded01 wrote:

I’m sitting in the home office keying a few books and occasionally looking across to the boat ramp. Crabbing season is in full swing. The car park is full with the usual suspects of Asian and Middle Eastern appearance.

Then a couple of hours ago the Fisheries arrive. Now I been out a number of time in the last month looking for a feed only to throw back 19 out of every 20 as being undersized, whereas I see others come in with a tub-full.  Wonder who called them and recommended it might be worthwhile to come around and have look.

Time to set up a table and chair next to the front gate, grab a couple of beers and watch the fun.

I wonderSmiley Embarassed

Entertainment at the front gate.  What an idyllic life for you.  

What state or general area do you reside? What dollar value would the fines be? 

DEB

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

Some cultures in Aus have always had a problem with size.

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

I live on the eastern edge of St Vincent Gulf SA right across the road form the local boat ramp. So westerly aspect sea views from every west facing window and class sliding door.

The fines here are pretty steep but only if your white.  As for theh usually suspects usually get off with a warning because they use the old but tried and tested “Sorry I didn’t understand, I won’t do it again), and then the next week, they’re back doing the same thing. Then if they are actually fined, they take the matter to court and the fine gets significantly reduced.

What really gets my goat is that, large sections of the gulf, to improve breeding stocks, have recently been permanently designated as fish sanctuaries (no take zones), which mind you don’t have no problem with because stocks need to improve, and yet here we have people deliberately taking undersized crabs, get caught and the courts give the a slap on the wrist.

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

@aps1080 wrote:
Some cultures in Aus have always had a problem with size.

We are talking crabs here Aps.

Robot Indifferent

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

@tall_bearded01 wrote:

The fines here are pretty steep but only if your white.  As for theh usually suspects usually get off with a warning because they use the old but tried and tested “Sorry I didn’t understand, I won’t do it again), and then the next week, they’re back doing the same thing. Then if they are actually fined, they take the matter to court and the fine gets significantly reduced.

The inspectors must be really dim if they do not recall the same person was caught before, and racist against white people.  Or maybe you just think it is the same person; after all these non-whites look all the same?

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

Helen
I was referring to the minimumsize lmits on fish, crabs etc.
Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

Around 10 years ago Portland Vic had a day where six illegal Abalone takers went to court.

They turned up in Ferrari's,Porche's and Lambourginies.

After each got fined over $6000 they just walked to the clerks court and wrote out checks,(it was like petty cash

for them).

The fines were a joke,stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gif

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

I had a major crab issue in the Thunderbird Motel in Eureka, California in 1974...........believe me, they weren't undersized!

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply