What are the Evolutionary explanations for Dumb people?

Why are there so many idiotic people around? What evolutionary advantage do they bring out?

e.g.

http://www.news.com.au/national/christien-sechrist-tattooed-his-young-sons-portrait-on-his-own-face/...

Message 1 of 91
Latest reply
90 REPLIES 90

drugs

alcohol

fluoride in the drinking water

Message 2 of 91
Latest reply

forgot to mention social media influence

Message 3 of 91
Latest reply

Survival of the fittest no longer exists and the weak minded are popping out kids faster than the rest, and being supported by the rest too.

It's going to get worse too. With computers doing all our thinking for us we all getting dumber. We need the challenges of the past.

I dealt with an extremely dumb person today who was also extremely rich. It was frustrating repeating everything 2 or 3 times. I'd say something and he'd ask me question...which I just stated the answer.

By the 4th time of him doing this I gave him a look, "are you kidding dummy?".

He was too stupid to notice, lol.

dummy.jpg

Message 4 of 91
Latest reply

j*oono
Community Member

Is this going to be tonight's popcorn thread?

Joono
Message 5 of 91
Latest reply

tumblr_lxazi1AG181r6aoq4o1_250.gif

Message 6 of 91
Latest reply

I think it is because we have let so many minor fanatical causes in the world create so many rules, laws, and regulations that stupid people can thrive.

When I see a packet of mixed nuts that says 'May contain nuts' I think to myself - does some overpaid drone at the company think we are all brain dead?

I think we have created so many senseless rules, laws, committees, and regulatory bodies that we are actually responsible for dumbing people down.

As the old saying goes  Never argue with a stupid person, they'll drag you down to their own level and beat you with experience.

Message 7 of 91
Latest reply

I have a feeling you don't really understand how evolution and genetics work, Bob. "Dumbness" has no advantages in the evoutionary sense, but our IQ along with all our physical attributes is passed on to us through the genes we inherit - and because within all our ancestries there is a huge range of genetic possiblilies the traits we inherit are to a large extent random and can be either advantageous or detrimental.  

Under purely evolutionary conditions - natural selection -  the dumb would have  less chance of surviving and passing on  dumb genes to their offspring, BUT the human race is no longer governed by natual selection. Today, we protect those who are less able to look after themselves and make a place for them in our society,  so they do survive. 

Bear in mind also that what is considered dumb in today's technological age may not have been a handicap in the days when the greatest threat to any individual was an angry mammoth or a sabre toothed tiger. You don't need a high IQ to  be able to run fast - or to know when running is the smartest option.

Message 8 of 91
Latest reply

@the_great_she_elephant wrote:

I have a feeling you don't really understand how evolution and genetics work, Bob. "Dumbness" has no advantages in the evoutionary sense, but our IQ along with all our physical attributes is passed on to us through the genes we inherit - and because within all our ancestries there is a huge range of genetic possiblilies the traits we inherit are to a large extent random and can be either advantageous or detrimental.  

Under purely evolutionary conditions - natural selection -  the dumb would have  less chance of surviving and passing on  dumb genes to their offspring, BUT the human race is no longer governed by natual selection. Today, we protect those who are less able to look after themselves and make a place for them in our society,  so they do survive. 

Bear in mind also that what is considered dumb in today's technological age may not have been a handicap in the days when the greatest threat to any individual was an angry mammoth or a sabre toothed tiger. You don't need a high IQ to  be able to run fast - or to know when running is the smartest option.

Ummmm, that's kinda my point. Evolution should really select out the idiots yet there're so many of them around. 

Message 9 of 91
Latest reply

it's because if you are smart you don't have kids.

Message 10 of 91
Latest reply