When child support isn't paid

When child support isn't paid, families struggle in more ways than one

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-12-02/child-support-payments-parents-report-reveals-failures/117507...

make a baby be responsible for it

why should my taxes be paying for some idiots 5 minutes of fun for the next 18 years

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Some just aren't responsible parents sadly.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Well - I was going to say - only 5 minutes - seriously. Robot wink

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

I agree but it sounds as if some of the parents are getting around it by putting money in the name of a new partner etc. Basically finding some way to avoid paying any money over.

It's a fraught area. I've known people who are divorced and the child support issues always seem to cause resentment. There can be petty behaviour on both sides. I suppose if the couples weren't getting along, to the extent they divorced, then we're not likely to see a lot of co-operation with child support either.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

fraught area is right.

What about the ones who pay responsibly, only to find out they aren't the father. 

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

In my opinion the Child Support Agency is the worst thing to happen to single parents.  It has been a disaster from the very start.

I had been divorced for 10 years when it was announced and we were asked if we wanted to enrol in the system.  I decided against it but my friend who was in the same position as me went with it.

I had been awarded weekly payments at a minimum amount....my OH was paid fortnightly so I agreed to accept my money fortnightly.

He was a bit lax and sometimes I did not get the money for 3 weeks but it was always paid in full.

Instead of paying the money to some faceless agency he came to the house with cash and to see the kids which was a plus in my book.

He always joined us for Christmas and birthday celebrations.  We have remained good friends (even if his new wife hates my guts). 

My friend on the other hand had a reasonable interaction with her ex but once the Child Support Agency became involved the relationship was destroyed within months.  They ended up in court numerous times and the children had to be supervised when he was around.  It ended up with the children not seeing him at all.  Eventually he went back to his native country and severed all ties with his family.  They were far worse off then before the CSA existed.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

The CSA has the authority to seize tax returns from non-paying parents.

I know, cos they pinched my ex SIL's return worth $10,000, and gave it to my daughter.

I couldn't stop laughing, he was so infuriated.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Yes, I know that Stawks.

When it was first introduced it seemed to me to be very much a case of a sledge hammer to crack a walnut.

I decided to "wait and see"......I could have joined at any time.

I am so glad I adopted that approach.  We all have a good relationship with my ex whereas friends who did go with the scheme are still angry at how a government department could destroy what was a fragile relationship to start with.

I know it is a godsend for some families but I think there needs to be some thought as to whether the hardline approach is really necessary.....in my case it was not needed.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

Lyndal, these days it's automatic.

You have to convince them that you don't need them to collect.

Trust me, a hardline approach is needed more than you know.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Yes, I know it is automatic.....I am very glad it was optional when it started.

I am talking late 80s here.  They certainly did their best to talk me into joining.

My girls were in their mid teens by then and things had worked smoothly without any government interference up till then.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply