When is it too much? A Christmas thread.

Just been reading a news story about a woman in England & the presents she buys her 3 children.

I'll insert a photo. Just in case you can't quite make it out, that's a 6 ft tree behind her.Smiley Surprised

Does anyone else think it is ridiculous?

It all costs her about $3000 she says. I'm not quibbling about the cost, that's her business, but I would have thought that with 2 older children (one a 15 year old) she might be better off just buying a few good quality things. I don't know, whatever 15 year old girls like-maybe a phone or good makeup or a really nice pair of boots or shoes of her choice, a watch, whatever.

I don't think it is obscene in terms of what she spends. It's a high amount but  I'm sure there are a lot of other people around who spend every bit as much. It's just over the top as far as the number of presents goes.

I'm just thinking back to when I was young (admittedly a while back) & I always got quite a few presents, usually in a pillow case, and it was exciting. But I would have found a pile like this daunting, not so much fun at all. More like hard work. It's just too much.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/lifestyle/familyandrelationships/this-is-obscene-single-mum-branded-ridicu...

BBGHIF1.jpg

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Does seem a little OTT.       But her money, her business I guess

A 6 ft tree just visible at the top if the pile.

a room with many items on display: Credits: Facebook/Emma Tapping
Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

The secret is that 3/4 of those "presents" are actually empty boxes, and every time one of the kids is bad, she takes a "present" and throws it in the bin...

I learnt that idea from a meme.

I find that the better part of my twisted, mean and cruel ideas come from memes.

Bless you, Internet...

Bless your shriveled black heart, ha ha.

Aside from that, entirely...

How many presents do you need?

Is her presence not present enough?

🙂

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

WOW!

And she didnt buy any of my stuff!

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

Does seem a little OTT.       But her money, her business I guess

A 6 ft tree just visible at the top if the pile.

a room with many items on display: Credits: Facebook/Emma Tapping

Smiley Very Happy A little over the top?

Her 3 year old could get killed if that pile collapses.

I think maybe mum is the one with the problem though-and maybe every year now she'll feel she has to keep up with last year's publicity.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

I wonder how much she spends on wrapping paper, tape, cards etc.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

She's crazy. When I was little, we had a pillow case laid out & our gifts went in that, unwrapped. Anything bigger was sitting next to the pillow case.

But that;s how we knew it was from Father Christmas (as he was called back then-you never hear that now, do you, it is all Americanised). Father Christmas's gifts came unwrapped, wrapping paper was what people used to give gifts to each other!

I brought my kids up the same way & have encouraged them to do the same with the grandkids. 

It's just as much fun for kids to pull things out of a large santa sack & more environmentally friendly. Not that i think that was my parents' motivation.Smiley Wink It certainly makes life easier.

Here's 2016 & I'm guessing my granddaughter found this just as exciting as the wrapped pressies.Smiley Very Happy

maya xmas 2016 crop.jpg

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply